STL Frequencies

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
ChuckG

STL Frequencies

Post by ChuckG » Sat May 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Can a 450 Mhz RPU be used for STL duty legally? Not temporary emergency use, but full time?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re: STL Frequencies

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun May 06, 2018 7:13 am

Going out on a limb here.....but been there before.

IIRC, back in the day, the 450mhz could be used as a TSL - transmiter - studio link to return metering info, etc. back to the studio, as well as an RPU. I can't remember if it could be used/licensed as an STL for permanent situations.

Deep Thought should have current info, and he should respond soon with "the path to enlightenment". :roll:

Fossil

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Sun May 06, 2018 11:36 am

In the continental United States, no.

47 CFR 74.432

(e) In Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, base stations may provide program circuits between the studio and transmitter or to relay programs between broadcasting stations. A base station may be operated unattended in accordance with the following:

(1) The station must be designed, installed, and protected so that the transmitter can only be activated or controlled by persons authorized by the licensee.

(2) The station must be equipped with circuits to prevent transmitter operation when no signal is received from the station which it is relaying.

They can be used as an emergency backup but not as a primary.

...Lee

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 am

Section 74.431 (H) allows temporary use for a program link in an equipment failure or other emergency that disrupts the usual STL. As noted, 74.432 provides further exceptions for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 am

RGORJANCE wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:13 am
Deep Thought should have current info, and he should respond soon with "the path to enlightenment". :roll:
Not sure how enlightening this will be since it has already been answered, but: yes in an emergency, no on a primary basis on "the mainland". The four frequencies at each "end" of the two bands can be used for TSL data on a primary basis.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Well there goes that plan lol.
This would be bringing program audio from one transmitter site to another transmitter site to feed an FM translator.
That's pretty clearly not "TSL" use.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am

Hey Chuck:

I just remembered something..... there is some gig-a-herz like STL, UNLICENSED, that you could set up? As I recall, the range is pretty decent, and I don't think the cost is real heavy.

According to my contact, (who I just spoke to) , there is the unlicensed version for 2.4/5ghz available cheap on Amazon, or the more expensive licensed units.

The brand is Ubiquity. My friend said there is one in use in relatively flat terrain providing high speed internet at a path distance of around 12 miles.

Fossil

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 am

Old age strikes again.......forgot to mention, you need a real clear path. If there are any trees in the way, you're gonna need to do your Paul Bunyon imitation.

Fossil

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 am

RGORJANCE wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am
Hey Chuck:

The brand is Ubiquity. My friend said there is one in use in relatively flat terrain providing high speed internet at a path distance of around 12 miles.

Fossil
I've used quite a bit of this brand, though not yet their model with the farthest range. Generally, they've been surprisingly reliable, though I have had a couple fail on me for no obvious reason. They're cheap to buy / replace, though getting to them might be the biggest irritation, if you have them up on a mountaintop tower.

Engenius is another brand I've used on 3 installs. So far, they've worked as well as the Ubiquiti gear.

For me, the biggest obstacle has been getting over the fact that you can accomplish for a few hundred bucks what used to cost thousands... doesn't seem real, somehow.

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Translator on one of my towers is fed by a Ubiquiti unit on 5 ghz high band. The transmit is at 800 feet AMSL on their STL tower, the receive is about 100 ft (or 1100 ft. AMSL) on my tower--short path, about 4 miles. They use Barix exstreamers on both ends.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 am

This is such a short path that you can see clearly one tower from the other. Problem is it's over a fairly industrial area
and interference worries me with unlicensed stuff. The other alternative is using public internet with Barix boxes, but that's another set of possible issues.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 am

These days my Paul Bunyan imitation consists of eating pancakes. Preferably "all you can eat". :lol:

Trees have been a PITA with the 950's too. Had to put up a power pole at one site to get over a row of pines, moved the receive dish 100' up the tower at another for the same reason. Now another site is starting to get scratchy when the wind blows.....

RGORJANCE wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 am
Old age strikes again.......forgot to mention, you need a real clear path. If there are any trees in the way, you're gonna need to do your Paul Bunyon imitation.

Fossil
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 am

We have a pair of Bric Links with the switchboard software. Don't need static IP addresses--if connection gets broken they reconnect through the switchboard server. The cost of the Bric Links is about the same as the cost of a refurbished STL-10.

Used them on a weekly scoreboard show during football season--simulcast on two of our stations with studios 20 miles apart. Worked fine. Granted, there is always the risk of "back-hoe" fade, and other weirder problems using the public internet.

One of the other translators on my tower plans on using Bric Links since they don't want the added expense of installing an STL dish on their AM tower. They are fighting with a strange pulse causing the transmitter Bric Linc to lock up; playing around yesterday with Comrex their engineer found he could disconnect the studio end "freeing" the transmitter end. Possibility that the AM RF getting into the studio internet connection, but still being explored. Two Internet service providers--A.T.& T and Suddenlink Cable--with an additional 5 GHZ link from my local studio to my tower set up by a wireless provider.

Your path may be much simpler, especially if the same Internet provider & good service at both ends. Not as cheap as an RPU, or unlicensed 5 GHz equipment, but certainly cheaper than a composite STL, let alone a mono STL.