Tomato Soup Incident

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
ChuckG

Re: Tomato Soup Incident

Post by ChuckG » Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm

It is often easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Especially when mice are involved. :lol:
kkiddkkidd wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm
As they say in the political world... The coverup is worse than the crime. Especially when Connie finds the dishwasher strainer stopped up with wire markers, electrolytic wrappers and mouse turds.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Wed May 30, 2018 5:51 am

You might try soaking the keyfob in hot clean water for a while, agitating it a few times, then repeat several times, to dissolve any residual detergent that might be sitting under components and causing a low (under 10 megohms) resistance path. Follow this up with a wash of 91% or greater isopropyl alcohol. Shake it off, blow clean compressed air into it, and let it sit for two days. If you can extract the switches from circuit board, clean them as well. You probably should remove the battery during this process as well.

A lot of solid-state circuits seem to use a very high resistance to keep some things alive, or they place similar resistors across pushbuttons. I haven't figured out why. The unit really should draw absolutely no current until you push a button, yet they seem to do so, eventually draining the battery down. I have an antenna analyzer with a mechanical on/off button that has a resistor across it, and just letting the unit sit turned off for six months will drain the 8 AA batteries to the point that they need to be replaced. I could understand placing a small disc capacitor across witch contacts to eliminate a spark, but I haven't figured out why a 1MegOhm resistor is required.

Bob M.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm
As they say in the political world... The coverup is worse than the crime. Especially when Connie finds the dishwasher strainer stopped up with wire markers, electrolytic wrappers and mouse turds.
"Is that a mouse in your pocket... ?"

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed May 30, 2018 3:21 pm

The key fob may have a hidden screw under a label on it that would let you in.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu May 31, 2018 7:48 am

I was meaning to share this as it was told by a technical scientist I'm acquainted with:

A user had apparent spilled some portion of a cup of coffee into a laptop they had been working on. The scientist picked it up and started walking to their lab hurriedly due to the spill. Unbeknownst to him one of the I.T. folk was following him. Once in the lab he proceeded to submerge the laptop, operating at the time, into a giant tub of deionized, demineralized water. The I.T. guy blew his stack while the the sci-guy swished the unit around in the tank.

Well, the laptop was cleaned, kept operating and once dry it was returned to the user. It had continued to operate until the company issued replacements to its staff.

I always found that story quite humorous. I never had the opportunity to try anything equally as daring with a piece of broadcast gear, though.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:48 am
deionized, demineralized water
As counter-intuitive as it seems to those who have never worked around a water-cooled tube transmitter, pure water is a good insulator. The trick in your laptop story is that there was nothing to leave behind once it dried out. I have to imagine that the cooling fans weren't thrilled to find themselves acting as propellers though. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

1. I wonder what the lab director said when he saw his vat of expensive demineralized water contaminated? :D

2. Touring a UHF TV transmitter... saw , in the middle of a few feet of insulating hose, a metal fixture with a wire attached. Seemed strange, as there was no other electrical connection. (at least, no *obvious* electrical connection!)

The wire went to ground through an ammeter. What I was told.. was that when the meter began to read current, it was time to do a flush-and-fill on the transmitter...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 pm

One of my FM sites is co-located with a DTV, with an IOT transmitter. The coolant circulating pumps have conductivity gauges attached. If those readings get too high, the transmitter won't run.

That TV station was off the air for several days once, because they ran out of coolant filters. Allegedly corporate did not budget for replacements, and they are apparently not an off-the-shelf item... :shock: