BCST ELECT MVDS SYSTEM

FM does it with frequency!
RGORJANCE

BCST ELECT MVDS SYSTEM

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am

Just a quick question-----anyone had experience with this xmttr monitoring/control system??? Good-so, so-bad??

Fossil

Lee_Wheeler

Re: BCST ELECT MVDS SYSTEM

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 pm

I had a couple of 35s, an A and a B, that had the MVDS and a few others that didn't have it. It had some utility but I seemed to have more trouble with the controller power supply on the ones that had the MVDS. Most of the power supply problems were due to the muffin fan seizing up and popping the fuse but I think the extra card in the cage may have forced the fan to work a bit harder. It was handy to see the screen current, plate current, and IPA reflected all in the same field of view while you are tuning it up but other than some temps there really isn't anything significant on the MVDS that isn't there on the analog gauges.

I put a keyboard shelf under the MVDS and I whacked my head on that a few times and I finally bought a shelf that would slide back into the rack since the keyboard doesn't really get used much.

The differences really aren't dramatic like the difference between using a Sine Systems remote control on dial up compared with a Burk / Autopilot linked up via TCP/IP.

...Lee

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the information., Lee. I think it will definitely be a "back burner project".

I usually wear a "head cushion" to reduce the deep dings. But they still can be painful. I got to the point where I get the young guys to do the "low down dirty stuff".

Fossil

sallen

Post by sallen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:37 am

I had one in a 35 years ago. S100 computer. The thing I liked best was being able to shut the monitor off and seeing the normal readings burned into the monochrome display.

RGORJANCE

Re: normal readings burned into the monochrome display.

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 am

Yup, that's what we got on our monitor, which is also DOA. I think there are a couple identical monitors in our old but working stock pile.

The xmttr was picked up used (FM-5B/S), very clean, and minus exciter, but including a lot of spares....MVDS boards too. Frequency change and retune after putting our FX-50 into the rig was slightly tedious, but actually went extremely well. Ended up at book 73% efficiency.

I think activating the MVDS is goinmg to be a zero priority fun project...when and if we find the time.

Thanks for th replies.

Fossil

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Got a 35B with one. The monitor has just recently lost its mind and displays what looks like an analog TV picture with the horizontal hold not holding.

Station is being sold so it will likely be someone else’s problem/project.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---