Strange skills learned

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
w9wi

Strange skills learned

Post by w9wi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 am

A broadcast engineer is, of course, expected to learn on the job. Sometimes, one is expected to learn skills WAY outside the job description.

Like deer herding.

As I'm sure is the case at many of your stations, our employee parking lot is fenced & gated. Yesterday morning, a fawn decided to follow one of the employees' cars through the gate.... Mom anxiously waiting just outside...

Two engineers, a news truck operator, and a producer finally managed to get the little guy to stop running back & forth past the open gate & finally run *through* it back to Mom.

Not sure who got the better workout, us or the fawn....
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

awsherrill

Re: Strange skills learned

Post by awsherrill » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am

At an AM site I used to take care of, the farmer next door was allowed to let his cattle graze on the tower property. He installed a "cattle gate" (a grate made of steel tubing) in the driveway underneath the vehicle gate. He assured me that the cattle would not walk across the grate because they didn't like how it felt on their hooves.

So the next time I went out there, I left the vehicle gate open, thinking I didn't need to worry about the cows getting out.

Upon leaving the site, I encountered the entire herd standing out by the paved road. The so-called "cattle gate" was just a minor impediment to their freedom.

Fortunately, the cows were fairly easily persuaded to go back where they were supposed to be, although it took some yelling and waving of arms.

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 am

awsherrill wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am
At an AM site I used to take care of, the farmer next door was allowed to let his cattle graze on the tower property. He installed a "cattle gate" (a grate made of steel tubing) in the driveway underneath the vehicle gate. He assured me that the cattle would not walk across the grate because they didn't like how it felt on their hooves.

So the next time I went out there, I left the vehicle gate open, thinking I didn't need to worry about the cows getting out.

Upon leaving the site, I encountered the entire herd standing out by the paved road. The so-called "cattle gate" was just a minor impediment to their freedom.

Fortunately, the cows were fairly easily persuaded to go back where they were supposed to be, although it took some yelling and waving of arms.

Used to install cattle gates like that all the time at cell phone towers...they are quite effective...but also cattle are alot smarter than most people think.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm

rftranstv wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 am
awsherrill wrote:

Used to install cattle gates like that all the time at cell phone towers...they are quite effective...but also cattle are alot smarter than most people think.
I ran into Those Cattle Grates all the tim on Colorado, often without any accompanying gate, Just fence up to the grate. Never saw cows where they weren't supposed to be... I also saw several different designs, perhaps some are better than others. I was told the wouldn't cross them because they'd slip between the rungs....

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Well, there are many other skills" we as engineers have. For instance..........

snake wrangler
rodent remover - dead and alive
alligator whisperer
tarantula tackler

And I'm sure there are lots more. Really liked the deer and cow stories...got quite a chuckle.

Fossil

Oh, yes, I experienced #1 and #2 personally. Number 4 wasn't in a transmitter.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:59 pm

And if you have satellite dishes, you learn to build forms and pour concrete.

Jeff

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:59 pm
And if you have satellite dishes, you learn to build forms and pour concrete.

Jeff
That's why I almost exclusively use non-penetrating mounts these days... Cost is within a few hundred bucks of a pole, making 2 trips to the site, a backhoe and concrete truck...

We can install a 3.7m dish in one long day on a ground level non-pen mount.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Well, there are many other skills" we as engineers have. For instance..........

snake wrangler
rodent remover - dead and alive
alligator whisperer
tarantula tackler

And I'm sure there are lots more. Really liked the deer and cow stories...got quite a chuckle.

Fossil

Oh, yes, I experienced #1 and #2 personally. Number 4 wasn't in a transmitter.
Never aligators......Tarantula once....WE Kept a 6' Black snake in the generator room of the First TX site I ever took care of, kept the rodents out. Ran a Giant Rat out of my generator a month age, had to clean up his Hoard of nuts and berries, both PRE and POST Digestion. It was quite disgusting. At least there are no known cases of HantVirus in TN.....
20180405_165406.jpg
20180405_154344.jpg
Rick the Rat was actually in there when I took the cover off. Nice little studio APT he had there, bed on the right, toilet on the left, oh and the smell.....I left him plenty of Green Rat Snax if he comes back....

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Remember the V-series Nautel FM transmitters? Had a 2.5 made up of two V-1's and a combiner. The combiner had a hole cut in the back for an RJ-45--but no connector. One of the many times the system went down had a combiner problem--mouse got in through that small hole and set up his apartment inside the combiner. (I say "he"--because there was a miniature poster of Annette Finicello in her mouse ears taped to a voltage regulator...).

Same site, years later. Changing out the generator, got a trade deal. Installers insisted on using the transfer switch that came with the Generac. Electrician pulls the panel off the main panel--and there was a black snake coiled up inside.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm
That's why I almost exclusively use non-penetrating mounts these days... Cost is within a few hundred bucks of a pole, making 2 trips to the site, a backhoe and concrete truck...

We can install a 3.7m dish in one long day on a ground level non-pen mount.
There are tradeoffs for sure. I greatly appreciate having the really heavy stuff show up in a truck that just pours where I need it. Hauling a bazillion cinder blocks around gets old really fast. Also, the contractor who cuts our grass has a tendency to whack into things with his zero-turn mower -- a few yards of concrete wins that battle pretty handily.

That particular pad was for a 5.0m dish, and pouring concrete kept the footprint of the base smaller than a non-penetrating mount -- important in that instance because it was close to our property line.

Jeff

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 pm

awsherrill wrote:
I did a new DA tune/proof outside of Tampa once...about three gates deep into a large cattle grazing operation. The rancher wanted us to keep the main gate off the road closed but the rest were just cattle gates.

They mostly stayed where they were supposed to stay except for one. The rancher told us that he would move that particular individual to another field to make sure he didn't teach the rest of them how to get across. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com