Weather Radar

Nathaniel Steele

Weather Radar

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello,
This seemed like as good a place as any to post this question. I Take care of four Radio stations and a TV Station (local cable system only, Like a PEG channel, but privately owned). Since the Weather Channel doesn't seem to actually give the weather all that often anymore, I was wondering how I could get radar on my TV station. Getting it on the air is no problem actually but I need a source. One of our other markets is using WeatherTAP in their Radio studios (we're the only market with TV), I'm going to put an inquiry in to them but It's not immeadiately clear if it would be ok for me to Broadcast thier RADAR, or maybe they would wan't more money than standard. Does anyone else have a suggestion for me to look into? I guess you big market guys have your own Radar systems that you own?

grich

Re: Weather Radar

Post by grich » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Most TV stations have a weather graphics package (ours comes from the company formerly known as WSI), and the NWS radar data comes from the data feed provided by the graphics vendor. We and one of the other stations in our market also have our own C or S-band radar, and the data from that is integrated into the graphics system.

Gregg

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am

From what I see of the WeatherTAP's license agreement, broadcasting their graphics directly would violate their terms of service in several respects. They might offer a version of their service for broadcast, but it's not obvious to me.

As Gregg points out, most television stations contract with a company like The Weather Company (formerly WSI): they aggregate National Weather Service product plus their own data and imagery, and have the software to present it. Some stations have their own radar -- we have a rather large Enterprise system -- that can be shown on its own in real time, and the data is automatically incorporated into the Max so that our meteorologists can build shows that include the station's radar.

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am

What would be the legality of directly broadcasting the NOAA feed off the Weather Service website?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 am

w9wi wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am
What would be the legality of directly broadcasting the NOAA feed off the Weather Service website?
From NOAA's site:
The information on National Weather Service (NWS) Web pages are in the public domain, unless specifically noted otherwise, and may be used without charge for any lawful purpose so long as you do not: 1) claim it is your own (e.g., by claiming copyright for NWS information -- see below), 2) use it in a manner that implies an endorsement or affiliation with NOAA/NWS, or 3) modify its content and then present it as official government material. You also cannot present information of your own in a way that makes it appear to be official government information.
It seems like that ought to be okay; the only possible snag might be the basemaps.

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 am

one of the smaller cable companies in my area used to have just a channel with a live radar website up ...i don't recall which website it was but that's all it ran 24/7. It was clearly just a scan converter and a computer..because occasionally the blue screen of death would pop up until someone restarted the computer.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

If you can afford it, an S band radar system is the way to go.

We're fortunate to have an S band radar system giving us feed compliments of my former avionics company.

The S band system gives extremely good detail within 50 miles (much better than NOAA), precipitation, cloud height information, and couplet information.

COMMENG

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 pm

COMMENG wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm
If you can afford it, an S band radar system is the way to go.

We're fortunate to have an S band radar system giving us feed compliments of my former avionics company.

The S band system gives extremely good detail within 50 miles (much better than NOAA), precipitation, cloud height information, and couplet information.

COMMENG
Any Idea the approximate cost?