Burk ARC-16 help

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
ChuckG

Burk ARC-16 help

Post by ChuckG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm

One of my stations uses a Burk ARC-16 remote control. This is a 2- box setup, Box "A" is at the transmitter site, box "D" is at the studio.
They are connected by a telco loop.
The Transmitter site Burk was damaged by lightning. Fossil fixed me up with a replacement (Thanks again!)

I installed and programmed the replacement transmitter side box and have readings back at the studio again.
But...The studio end cannot remote control the transmitter end. Raise/Lower do not function. ( they do function locally on the Transmitter box).

I"ve tried every setup combo there is for data ports 1, 2, 1&2, ,
swapped a different wireline modem in,
swapped PROMs with our old box,
verified I can hear FSK data at each end of the wire line with the local box both connected and disconnected.
Reset it back to factory default and went through the setup several times over.
Studio is set to "D", Transmitter is "A". Same as before the damage.
Modems are set for "T" at the transmitter end and "S" at the studio end.
Still no remote control. I'm beyond stumped.
Any thoughts?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kcbooboo

Re: Burk ARC-16 help

Post by kcbooboo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 am

Can you select remote channels? Can you get remote status and analog inputs?

The up/dn commands drive relays on the sub-panel. Could the common relay power be missing, such that the actual remote controls are being sent and received but the relays never do their thing? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fuse hidden in there somewhere. Might you have connectors for channels 1-8 and 9-16 swapped?

Bob M.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Yep... I have transmitter readings and status indicators on the studio display.
I also have properly functioning raise/lower relays when I activate them using the transmitter site box. They just do not fire from the raise/lower buttons on the studio box.
I talked to Burk...they think there is a failure on the main board, which is NLA.
Another used unit on the way (thanks again Fossil!) ...fingers crossed!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 am

What's annoying is that you might be able to actually FIX the unit if you had a schematic. It could just be a simple interface IC or even a burnt trace hiding somewhere.

One cluster where I've done some work has two remote ARC-16 units plus one control unit in the studio. Corporate forced them to go to a Relio system, which has been anything but Reli-able. Fortunately at my suggestion they wired both systems in parallel, so when the Relio died, they still had control of everything.

Bob M.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:57 pm

ChuckG wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm
Yep... I have transmitter readings and status indicators on the studio display.
I also have properly functioning raise/lower relays when I activate them using the transmitter site box. They just do not fire from the raise/lower buttons on the studio box.
I talked to Burk...they think there is a failure on the main board, which is NLA.
Another used unit on the way (thanks again Fossil!) ...fingers crossed!
That certainly eliminates a fault in the relay panel (which I have had)... Just to confirm, the tx readings are correct and follow the channel up and down buttons but you get no action from the remote relay commands while the local relay commands work normally?

If so, I agree that that it sounds like a MB problem on one end or the other. I don't have a single working Arc16 left in service or in the junk pile that I can recall. Very, very few of my stations bought the studio end.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:57 pm
Just to confirm, the tx readings are correct and follow the channel up and down buttons but you get no action from the remote relay commands while the local relay commands work normally?
You got it.

kkiddkkidd wrote:
I don't have a single working Arc16 left in service
Apparently neither do I.

At this point it's a battle of wills. I refuse to let it win. :P
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 am

Have multiple sized hammers all the way up to the "GBFH".

"Have hammers, will travel........ for Kringle"!

Fossil
(Hope the pair of 16's arrived safely)

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:49 pm

ChuckG wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 pm
kkiddkkidd wrote:
Just to confirm, the tx readings are correct and follow the channel up and down buttons but you get no action from the remote relay commands while the local relay commands work normally?
You got it.

kkiddkkidd wrote:
I don't have a single working Arc16 left in service
Apparently neither do I.

At this point it's a battle of wills. I refuse to let it win. :P
The only bit of advice that I can dredge up is to listen to (or record) the FSK data between the units while punching the raise/lower buttons and see if you can see any change in the data that should correspond to a raise/lower button. I don't recall if it was the Arc16 or not but one of the old FSK RC's that I have worked on in the past had a distinct warble data that noticeably changed with any command.

Good luck,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Just as a follow up to this, I did get the units talking to each other. It was a damaged microprocessor in the replacement transmitter site ARC-16. Swapped one in from another unit and everything worked!

The original transmitter site ARC16 was pulsing the output relays on a 1 second cycle and had a dead display. Got that fixed too.... damaged I/O board.

Sooo.... Fossil I have the original pair back in service and another working pair I can return to you if you like.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 am

Good news, Chuck. Sent you a message to your "secret email address" re the trader/loaner system.

Fossil

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:21 am

My victory was short-lived. One week in service and the PROM chip decided to annoy me by failing.
Need a matched pair (same revision) to make the link work and a specific serial number to unlock Autopilot.. Since this firmware version is long obsolete and Burk no longer burns the chips, it's not repairable. Services will be held Monday morning around back at the dumpster.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:59 am

Bummers!!! Sorry to hear about that. Looks like the ARC16's days have come to an end.

Been having troubles myself with a metering problem on two different brand FM rigs. Finally got my head screwed on straight and discovered that channels 8 thru 16 analog inputs to the Burk don't work. Duhhhhh! Talk about feeling like a rookie! :oops:

I'll give you a call early this coming week.

Fossil