KVM Suggestions

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
NECRAT
Site Admin

KVM Suggestions

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 am

So I am starting the process of looking to get our in house KVM replaced. The current model we have has 64 "ports" and 12 user stations but is quite old.
So there are some graphics resolution issues with it, along with the other known potentials with older units.

Here is what I am looking for. It has to be able to handle very high resolution video. Being a TV station with about 12-14 graphics machines that use high resolution graphics cards, this is important. The ability to IP log into the unit would be nice.

Also my boss is insisting NOT Raritan for some reason, so.. not Raritan.

Because I know less than 0 about KVMs, any suggestions would be helpful.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Re: KVM Suggestions

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am

Darn -- Raritan was going to be my first suggestion; we have four Dominion series units of various ages and sizes, up to a fairly new 64x4 unit.

You might take a look at Avocent -- I haven't used it, but have heard good feedback about their stuff. Their Matrix series is supposedly scalable, so you should be able to come up with a collection of gear that will accommodate your needs.

Jeff

grich

Post by grich » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am

We're trying out an Aten Altusen setup. I don't know what the max resolution is. This model uses a dongle that plugs into the computer, and CAT5 cable to the KVM switch.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Check out rose electronics, rose.com. High end stuff with the price to match but will do all you want and is not Raritan....

Can't comment on reliability since I've never been able to afford one.....

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I have been happy with the NTI stuff. I have several in service, some over 10 years old, still operating just fine.

http://www.networktechinc.com/
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin