PC based multi-band processor

TPT

PC based multi-band processor

Post by TPT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Have a low power station presently using my ancient Optimod 8100. Looking for recommendations for a PC based audio processor.
I have an Omnia stereo generator from another project I can use to feed the STL, so just need the stereo processed signal out of the computer.

Not looking to spend too much on this project, plan to peddle the Optimod (which is pretty beat up), so looking under $500. Will be using outboard USB sound card.

Deep Thought

Re: PC based multi-band processor

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Basic StereoTool is 35 euros, but there are some fair-priced options (declipper and advanced dynamics) that make a big difference and still stay well under $500. You'll need at least a quad core i3 to run it well.

https://www.stereotool.com/
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 am

Try to find a (working) Symetrix AGC and Compressor/Limiter units. Models 422 and 425, IIRC. No PC needed, lower power consumption and easy to hide from prying fingers. Set up well, they'll give you a 'radio' sound without destroying the quality.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 am

I'm using Breakaway one for my streams, four instances on one pc which is also generating the four streams. I think it's an i3., handles it no problem.It has different options including livewire/AES67, RDS, Composite output (requires a 192Khz sample rate sound card), low latency monitoring. Designed by Leif Claesson, the omnia 9 designer.

http://www.breakawayone.com/

They offer a fully functional demo, it just cuts in (once an hour I think) with an audio watermark "This is a demo copy of breakaway one".

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 am
Try to find a (working) Symetrix AGC and Compressor/Limiter units. Models 422 and 425, IIRC. No PC needed, lower power consumption and easy to hide from prying fingers. Set up well, they'll give you a 'radio' sound without destroying the quality.
Problem with that setup is no FM peak limiter, meaning the station will sound vewwy vewwy quiet.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am

Which is the present problem with the 8100, since everyone else is using some flavor of multiband processor.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pm

I tried running an Optimod PC1101 into an 8100 when I had a 8500 go bad. The 8100 was basically a final clipper but it was still pretty grim sounding and uncompetitive. If you crank the modulation up to about 125% it does OK but I figured the guys at the field office, 1/4 mile away from the tower, might get upset about it so I just lived with it for a few days while the 8500 got repaired. I also tried to let the Flexstar exciter handle the clipping by feeding it AES and that was just as bad as the 8100.

...Lee

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 am

Deep Thought wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 am
KPJL FM wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 am
Problem with that setup is no FM peak limiter, meaning the station will sound vewwy vewwy quiet.
I let the composite clipper (set at about .8db) handle the limiting outside of the limiter built in the C/L unit. Still can sound loud and not distorted (any more than the local stations :lol: )
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Ah...didn't see a composite clipper on your processor list.