BE AM1A Question

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Slab Bulkhead

BE AM1A Question

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 am

I have an AM1A here that recently suffered a partial power module failure. Exchanged the module back to the factory for a good one, and got back to full power. Now it's running around 600w instead of the normal 1080 (directional station).

The ops guy ran out to the site and told me that there were no fault lights on. I had him cycle the breaker, no change. Had him check the common point current and it confirmed power was low. Reflected power readings were fine and there was no VSWR warning showing.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Could we have a dud module with no fault indication?

RGORJANCE

Re: BE AM1A Question

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Just had a somewhat similar issue in an AM-10A.

Take a look at the "drive led". Ours would not light up at low power and when I hit full power, the LED flickered, and I had some flickering of output power.

Turned out to be a bad IC and fuse. This was a spare module that had been previous;y "factory repaired" and was sitting on the shelf as a "spare".

Fossil

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 pm

So far, so good after yet another module swap. This one was "factory repaired" too, although it still wouldn't surprise me if something else is wrong somewhere. The owner is tighter than a drum and the poor transmitter gets abused because he's too cheap to pay for an A/C unit.

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 am

What’s the ambient temp in the room?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:30 am

We got it working again -- as it turned out, the controller card had gone bad causing the power setting trimpots to have no effect and the power to fly away and eventually blow the power module from the stress.
Shane wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 am
What’s the ambient temp in the room?
On hot days outside (ambient in the 90's) the transmitter would eventually shut down due to overtemp in the afternoons. I seem to recall the ops guy going down there one day that it died and he said the thermometer in the shed read in the 100's. After that, the owner did put in an exhaust fan in the roof and intake louvers in the door which seems to have helped. He prefers to pinch pennies and then act bewildered when equipment fails due to the poor conditions.

grich

Post by grich » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:08 am

Slab Bulkhead wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:30 am
...On hot days outside (ambient in the 90's) the transmitter would eventually shut down due to overtemp in the afternoons. I seem to recall the ops guy going down there one day that it died and he said the thermometer in the shed read in the 100's. After that, the owner did put in an exhaust fan in the roof and intake louvers in the door which seems to have helped. He prefers to pinch pennies and then act bewildered when equipment fails due to the poor conditions.
Wow...unbelievably stupid for the owner to have no ventilation in a transmitter shack.

One of my clients started fighting problems in an 18-year-old AM-500A in a fan-ventilated building. It doesn't take a very large thru-the wall air-conditioner to keep a 10x10 shack cool with one of these transmitters. Have had no problems since A/C was installed. I think the cost of the A/C was less than a new power supply board. :wink:

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:26 am

grich wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:08 am
Wow...unbelievably stupid for the owner to have no ventilation in a transmitter shack.

One of my clients started fighting problems in an 18-year-old AM-500A in a fan-ventilated building. It doesn't take a very large thru-the wall air-conditioner to keep a 10x10 shack cool with one of these transmitters. Have had no problems since A/C was installed. I think the cost of the A/C was less than a new power supply board. :wink:
This guy's the very definition of penny wise and pound foolish. Won't pay to keep conditions proper for the equipment, but then ends up paying twice as much in repair costs and time off the air (because he doesn't believe in backups either).

I'm sure that what he just had to cough up would have paid for the AC unit and probably two summers worth of electricity to run it. :roll: