TX + Bad Memory = Off Air

FM does it with frequency!
Bill DeFelice

TX + Bad Memory = Off Air

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:50 am

Anybody have an idea of the manufacturer of this transmitter? It appears it was a SanDisk Compact Flash memory card

KEXP returns to Seattle airwaves after 11-year-old digital memory card takes station down
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

KPJL FM

Re: TX + Bad Memory = Off Air

Post by KPJL FM » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

Maybe it was the processor, not the transmitter.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am

As I recall some of the very early BE digital hybrid systems used a flash memory card somewhere in the Importer, Exporter, Exciter chain (All different boxes). I did the install on one but I never heard from them again after I walked out of the door. I never took the time to try to figure out what it was all doing since it was a "insert tab A into slot B" installation.

...Lee

sallen

Post by sallen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:47 am

Millions of dollars donated to KEXP, they build their showcase studios and they can't afford a transfer switch for the backup transmitter? Don't test their backup transmitter?

I think the transmitter is a BE. But shame on KEXP for not having a robust RF transmission system. Did they spend to much on studios and not enough at the transmitter? An hour and a half off the air? WoW. Looks like they spent more time making a flashy photo of the flash memory, than they spent making a robust transmitter site.

Get ready for a million dollar fund raiser so KEXP can pay a consultant to tell them how to build a reliable transmitter plant and another million to build it.

I would be embarrassed on several levels if I worked at KEXP. For as much money as KEXP has plowed through in the last five years and Zero spent on transmitter reliability. They got what they deserve.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am

One wonders how accurate the article really is. Anyway, since they’re a non-profit, transmitter downtime often equals increased donations. At least it does here when every time K-Love has to go off the air for some business on the tower, people go, “We’d better send them some money.”

Go figure. I think they already did.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

sallen

Post by sallen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:27 pm

I looked at my post and it sounds a little harsh, but no it is not. KEXP got a $10 million dollar donation in April 2018. You can google it.

"But the good news is that a generous and anonymous soul has assured that the KEXP in-studio video series, as well as all the other day to day operations (you mean like staying on the air?) and ventures of KEXP will keep rolling for a very, very long time.

“KEXP is a community-centered nonprofit, and it’s always been powered by individuals who support it in any way they can. Making this gift was Suzanne’s way of helping to secure a bright future for KEXP’s mission to make lives better through music,” says KEXP Chief Content Officer Kevin Cole.

According to the radio station, the bulk of the funds will be placed in a long-term reserve and a board-directed strategic initiatives endowment as a backstop to their current donation revenue, and as seed money for future priorities and initiatives."

So in five months since the donation no one figured to do any upgrades at the transmitter? Buy a transfer switch. Sounds like they are doing a great job at keeping things rolling along if you like being off the air. Embarrassing!

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Shane wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am
Anyway, since they’re a non-profit, transmitter downtime often equals increased donations.
I'll second that. First time I took a local NP off-air for repairs during the afternoon, the phones lit up and the checkbooks came flying out.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 pm

sallen wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:47 am
I think the transmitter is a BE.
Naw, I have to confess it's one of ours - an original NV series - and the article is fairly accurate. The older NV transmitters did a lot more R/W cycles to the flash card than the newer GV series do - and that does kill CF cards a tad more quickly (marketing understatement, there). Definitely if they'd had a backup transmitter, it would have been a none issue. Heck, even having a backup CF card with a fresh firmware payload on it would do.

The odd thing is that that transmitter will almost always stay on the air if a CF card fails. You won't be able to get into the user interface and it loses the front panel display, but it will keep running. Wonder if somebody panicked and hit the "OFF" button? Or it could be that this is the one that proves me wrong - that happens often enough, also.
Jeff Welton, CBRE
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

rfn

Post by rfn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Hey, Jeff.....

I was moving the NV at KNOM this past weekend and had it off for about at hour. It came back up with problem but now I'm wondering if I should replace the CF memory chip as a preventive. I'm about 900 miles away from it just now (but where I can get chips easily) so can't poke at it. So the questions....does a replacement chip need any special formatting or anything pre-loaded? What data capacity required or suggested?

OK, so if you're laughing, remember that to my generation if it doesn't have a filament it ain't electronic!

The NX25 installation went nicely and everybody's recovering from the muscle strains and hernias sustained stuffing the transformer into it though one of the crew may need several more therapy sessions to get past the mental issues! It was much easier than the ND even though we're a lot older than we were then.

davek

Post by davek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 am

Nautel has a document (IS13004A) that details how to prepare a new compact flash card for the NV series. The recommended capacity for the CF card is 4GB.
PM me your email address and I can send you a copy.

rfn

Post by rfn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Got it, Thanks!