High Intesity Tower Lights

It's just radio with pictures! :)
rich wood

High Intesity Tower Lights

Post by rich wood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 am

Howdy,
Does anyone have experience with the Dialight High Intensity LED lights called Vigilant? What is the word on this equipment??
I am hoping to move away from the typical high maintenance strobe systems.
Thanks

Kelly

Re: High Intesity Tower Lights

Post by Kelly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:29 am

I've heard (and experienced) a lot less complaints about LED lighting packages than traditional strobes. They're pricey, but from what I understand a good long-term investment.

KE0MI

Post by KE0MI » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 am

I found this interesting, https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... /70_7460-1 in the fact that the new installs of LED lighting are required to have infrared LED's as well to aid with night vision goggles.

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 am

RIch,

We priced a Vigilante LED replacement system for a Flashtec HI system on a 690ft stick. The estimate with removal and installation was about 90K. At the time, the Vigilante HI LED strobe heads were approximately 3ft long, and they could not come up with a way to mount them on the top of our ERI tower with a reduced cross section.

We ultimately filed an application to change from HI strobes to MI strobes (since the tower was just under 700'), and that dropped the price of the project to 35K. We did have to paint the tower, but that was not a bad trade off.

The Dialight MI system has been nearly flawless. We had one power supply die while under warranty. Other than that, no problems at all for the last three years. We had been spending about 15K/yr maintaining to old Flashtec HI system. Our determination calls for white strobes 24hr a day.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Kevin