RING MY BELL

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

RING MY BELL

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Well, here we are at one hour past Armageddon, and my bell never rang. I suppose that those of us in "fly over country" without the benefit of smart phones, won't hear any alerts on our devices.

I wonder just how well this really worked out. I saw news videos of all kinds of folks looking at their phones as they looked like they rang. Again....just crickets here.

How did you other folks outside of the upper central Midwest do??

Fossil
218pm CDST

Bill DeFelice

Re: RING MY BELL

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:20 pm

All worked here on the East Coast. I was at my 9-to-5 job in a classroom where students weren't suppose to have their phones on them. I can tell how many paid attention as they got ratted out by the alert.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Worked fine (both smartphones and EAS) in Nashville.

We did see IPAWS go offline *after* the test, between 3:28 and 3:40 Central. (has anyone else seen that?)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 pm

We had quite the cellular cacophony throughout our building, followed two minutes later by every single one of 27 program streams relaying EAS as each station's ENDEC got and relayed the alert. It was something of a contest to see which stations would be first... in our case, the Elmira station won, with the others following within a minute.

Jeff

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:09 pm

w9wi wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm
We did see IPAWS go offline *after* the test, between 3:28 and 3:40 Central. (has anyone else seen that?)
Yes, our ENDECs have been seeing a lot more polling failures than normal for the last week or so.

Jeff

grich

Post by grich » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm

And then, NBC Newschannel distributes a package about the test, voiced by Jay Grey, with nat sound of the TONES at the end. :evil: So stupid...they ought to know better. They did send a corrected pack, but still...

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:18 pm

WEA set off about 40 phones in the resturant where I was grabbing lunch. As far as I could tell, every phone in the joint went off except for one gent's flip phone. He said that he received CAE, etc alerts normally so not sure why he didn't get the NPT.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Heard from the manager at a student run station at the community college. He was teaching a class--Half the students phones triggered, most of the class confused and slightly panicked.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 am

grich wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm
And then, NBC Newschannel distributes a package about the test, voiced by Jay Grey, with nat sound of the TONES at the end. :evil: So stupid...they ought to know better. They did send a corrected pack, but still...
I anticipated this, and explicitly warned our news department ahead of time. The urge to have dramatic props and examples is sometimes strong enough to overcome common sense.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 am

My new iPhone is set to 'OFF' for alerts, but this came thru anyway. With the phone in 'locked' state. What a deal if I was in a quiet place (live mic).
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 am

Had that problem with amber alerts overriding live high school baseball broadcast. No way to access settings in the "home phones" (cell box with no screen/no keypad--just telephone jack). Hard to get a hard wired line in the middle of a high school baseball field.

grich

Post by grich » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am

PID_Stop wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 am
grich wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm
I anticipated this, and explicitly warned our news department ahead of time. The urge to have dramatic props and examples is sometimes strong enough to overcome common sense.
Our news department was similarly advised, but I was still spot-checking stuff throughout the day.

I heard Jimmy Kimmel gave ABC affiliates a chance to donate to the Treasury last night.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 am

grich wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am
I heard Jimmy Kimmel gave ABC affiliates a chance to donate to the Treasury last night.
You're right. I just checked our confidence recorder, and they used the two-tone attention signal several times starting about a minute and a half into the show. These people should know better... but we're the ones who get nailed. :x

Jeff

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm

On the other hand, here's a Denver TV reporter who found a way to do a story on the WEA without using prohibited tones, but actual duck noises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRv_ZkU3sA

quack quack

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Here in Verizon Wireless Free Quincy, IL, only about half of us in the training session, who are VZW customers from other states, got the message. Others did not.

My phone was sent to silent, and did not make any audible or vibration noise. Just a pop up on the screen that couldn't be cleared without hitting "confirm".
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"