RING MY BELL

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Lee_Wheeler

Re: RING MY BELL

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:25 pm

My T-Mobile phone, with calls routed through a WiFi connection was a fail and my wife's phone on the T-Mobile cellular network was also a fail. Both phones are older Samsung Note 3 handsets. My son's phone did work but I am unsure what carrier / handset he has.

Too bad the Commission didn't give all cell phone users 6 hours to log into ETRS to file a Day of Test report like they do with the broadcasters.

...Lee

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Excellent creative solution to the legal problem! Needs to be a textbook example. NAB?
awsherrill wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm
On the other hand, here's a Denver TV reporter who found a way to do a story on the WEA without using prohibited tones, but actual duck noises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRv_ZkU3sA

quack quack
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm

My VZ flip fone got it, at least it was on the screen for me when I was reunited with it. Didn’t hear it sound off and everything was on. The screen message was not date-time stamped which was less than helpful had it been real.

I have an iPhone which isn’t a phone at the moment. (No longer on company service) It does surf when WiFi is nearby and I presume could make an emergency call. I didn’t want it to sound off so I first put it on airplane mode, then I decided to just turn it off. I put it back on about 1:35 and got nothing, which wasn’t unexpected.

I heard a certain national radio news network promote the test that morning at 5am Central with tones. It was the ones used for the phones, I believe, so although it was very close to the two-tone EAS alert it wasn’t the actual thing. So I wasn’t sure if that was a violation, but affiliates sure did. Heard of one that pulled all newscasts for the rest of the day until they got assurances.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

jthorusen

Post by jthorusen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm curious.... I found a clip of an actual alert on line.... it sounds like the usual 3 bursts of digital data followed by an alert tone. If a news department wanted to simulate this without triggering an actual alert, it would seem that this could be accomplished by sending three bursts of nonsense data followed by a tone of a different frequency.

I don't know of anyone who can tell the difference by ear between the correct data sequence to trigger an alert and the first few words of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, so it would sound the same as the real thing to the listening audience. :D

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 am

Shane wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm
It was the ones used for the phones, I believe, so although it was very close to the two-tone EAS alert it wasn’t the actual thing. So I wasn’t sure if that was a violation, but affiliates sure did. Heard of one that pulled all newscasts for the rest of the day until they got assurances.
Anything that simulates the attention tones, "real" or not, is prohibited unless it is part of an awareness campaign. In that case they were covered:

§11.45 Prohibition of false or deceptive EAS transmissions.

(a) No person may transmit or cause to transmit the EAS codes or Attention Signal, or a recording or simulation thereof, in any circumstance other than in an actual National, State or Local Area emergency or authorized test of the EAS; or as specified in §§10.520(d), 11.46, and 11.61 of this chapter.

(b) No later than twenty-four (24) hours of an EAS Participant's discovery (i.e., actual knowledge) that it has transmitted or otherwise sent a false alert to the public, the EAS Participant send an email to the Commission at the FCC Ops Center at FCCOPS@fcc.gov, informing the Commission of the event and of any details that the EAS Participant may have concerning the event.

§11.46 EAS public service announcements.

EAS Participants may use the EAS Attention Signal and a simulation of the EAS codes as provided by FEMA in EAS Public Service Announcements (PSAs) (including commercially-sponsored announcements, infomercials, or programs) provided by federal, state, and local government entities, or non-governmental organizations, to raise public awareness about emergency alerting. This usage is only permitted if the PSA is presented in a non-misleading and technically harmless manner, including with the explicit statement that the Attention Signal and EAS code simulation are being used in the context of a PSA for the purpose of educating the viewing or listening public about emergency alerting.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:20 pm

So does a news story count? (i.e.: part of a newscast rather than a separate “announcement” as we in the industry typically think of as a PSA?)

Reading 11.46, it’s just unclear enough (what with the qualifications “...infomercials or programs” [infering that length or being paid for are not issues] and “or non-governmental organizations” [infering that a story could be written by a news organization and not necessarily supplied by FEMA, although that is also specified]) to be confusing on that point.

The duck sounds were a safe way out of that dilemma as well as a nod to the inside joke involving emissions from ducks, which the signals do not sound like at all, BTW.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Shane wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 pm
Excellent creative solution to the legal problem! Needs to be a textbook example. NAB?
awsherrill wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm
On the other hand, here's a Denver TV reporter who found a way to do a story on the WEA without using prohibited tones, but actual duck noises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRv_ZkU3sA

quack quack
Now that's funny right there...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com