Harris Z FM-HD Problem

FM does it with frequency!
dd92251

Harris Z FM-HD Problem

Post by dd92251 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 am

Hi All,

I haven't played with FM HD much so I'm hoping someone here can help guide me thru a problem. I have a high-level combined Harris Z set of FM transmitters that have issues. There is no FM HD being transmitted and I get some Errors on the Flexstar screen.

The "Signal Processing Status -EXGINE" Page of the Flexstar shows these faults in Red. (See attached picture)

The Faults on the Flexstar are: HD RUN, HD BUF, DSP RUN, EL RUN.

Being a bit in-experienced in FM-HD...I know there is an Importer and an Exporter but I don't know what they really do in the whole scheme of things. I do see a rack mounted PC like unit with a couple of RED warning lites on it, this may be the Importer...I dunno.

Does any of this make a bit of sense to the Brain Trust ? Can anyone point me in the best direction to start looking for the problem ?

BTW: The Analog FM-Stereo is working just fine for this station....and the HD transmitter is putting out some RF power.

Nathaniel Steele

Re: Harris Z FM-HD Problem

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:00 am

I won't claim to be an expert, but I took care of an HD-FM for a few years. Transmitter was Harris HPX-20, Exporter was HDE-200, Importer was HDI-100.

The exporter "Exports" the HD data stream to the transmitter, in my case over an Intraplex HD-link STL (950, one way). Your Analog stations signal goes into the exporter, which generates the HD-1. The Importer is optional and is for "impporting" the HD-2,HD-3, HD-Whatever Data. In my case we had an HD-2 and an HD-3. The importer was really just a 2U supermicro server with a Lynx AES Audio card and the ibiquity software (Running on windows XP). The Importer connects to the exporter via IP, In my case the exporter had an RJ45 to plug the importer directly into.

I didn't set up the system and I'm not too in depth on the ins and outs of it, but if you have NO HD whatsoever, I'd look at the exporter, the chaing between exporter and exciter (Could be just a cat5 if its all at the TX site, could be an STL like mine, or could be some other IP link), and the HD exciter. Make sure the cables are good. Reboot everything. My exporter was an embedded device and was fairly rock solid. My importer would just quit importing after a while, and have no errors (I'd just have no HD2 or HD3), a reboot or two or three usually solved that. If the link to the exciter went down the exciter would show errors, but I don't remember exactly what. I'm no longer taking care of that transmitter so can't offer much more.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

Also if your exporter is an embedded device it had a webpage you could login to and check some status, you'd need its IP address of course. As I recall there was a utility in the Importer that helped me find that or log in. again sorry it's a bit hazy it's been over a year since I messed with that thing.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

And check the exciter manual for those faults.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:37 pm

I Found a copy of the exciter manual (while looking for some other files) it says basically what I told you above.

6.3.3.1 HD RUN, HD Buff, EL RUN, DSP RUN Warnings
These warnings can be caused by configuring the Exciter to HD mode and not having a reliable input from the
Exporter via the Ethernet connection. Check that the Exporter Link cable is physically connected, and sending data
by verifying that the Exporter link connection on the rear of the Exciter has an LED illuminated and one blinking to
indicate traffic. NOTE: This does not indicate that it is actually talking to the Exporter, only that it is connected to
the LAN.
See table 6-1 for Exgine HD faults. Also see "3.4.2.3 "Exgine" (page 3/5; 4/5)" on page 3-16 for more information.
6.3.3.2 Check Firewall
When going through a firewall, sometimes UDP can get through without stoppage. However, if you suspect the
firewall is the problem, ensure that port 8145 is open for the UDP link.
6.3.3.3 Verify IP Address
If you have used DHCP and the connection was made after the Exciter was turned on, restart the Exciter after the
cable is connected. Then check the DHCP address on the Exciter and verify the one entered into the Exporter is the
same as the one on the Exciter serial setup screen.
Table 6-1 Exgine HD: "OK" and "FAULT" Descriptions
"OK" "FAULT"
EL RUN Exporter Link is receiving data from the
exporter.
No data from the exporter, or wrong
MAC entered into the Exporter screen.
DSP RUN Exgine DSP is digitally modulating the
HD signal.
Exgine DSP is not doing anything.
Two reasons:
1) There is no data to process (Exporter
Link or Internal)
2) There is something wrong with the
DSP HW or SW.
HD BUF Buffer of modulated HD is being
utilized.
Buffer is empty, check to see if the
Exciter is in "test" mode.
HD RUN Exgine is sending a signal to the exciter's
digital upconverter. This may be HD or
just an HD test pattern, depending on
the settings for the Exgine.
Exgine is NOT producing any outpu

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm

It's not a Z-series, but I have a that Importer/Exporter combination at one of my translator sites. Sometimes it requires a power-down restart of the importer/exporter and exciter together. Have you tried pulling the plugs, letting it sit for about :30? Seems like it loses the connection between all three.