Computer-controlled small L-band switches?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

Computer-controlled small L-band switches?

Post by w9wi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm

We use Compusat software to control assorted IRDs and four steerable dishes.

Part of the mix.. are three old Standard Agile Omni analog receivers. They're used only as RF switches, H/V and C/Ku.

We figure they aren't going to live forever. (although given how long they've been up, maybe they *are* immortal?)

Any recommendations for decent and not horribly expensive RS-232 or Ethernet-controllable L-band switches?

Thanks!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Re: Computer-controlled small L-band switches?

Post by grich » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 pm

w9wi wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm
We use Compusat software...
I'd give Andrew a call and see what he recommends. You have to buy something he can talk to anyway. :wink:

We've never used a matrix control at my TV day-job, all of the receivers we use have four-port switches built-in, and along with active splitters for each dish, we have managed to automate day-to-day operations, with an occasional manual patch for special events. We have fixed dishes for Pathfire and Pitchblue services.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm

grich wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 pm
w9wi wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm
We use Compusat software...
I'd give Andrew a call and see what he recommends. You have to buy something he can talk to anyway. :wink:

We've never used a matrix control at my TV day-job, all of the receivers we use have four-port switches built-in, and along with active splitters for each dish, we have managed to automate day-to-day operations, with an occasional manual patch for special events. We have fixed dishes for Pathfire and Pitchblue services.
The last three places I've worked in have all used Quintech gear. The current place I am in uses an Evertz.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 am

NECRAT wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm
The last three places I've worked in have all used Quintech gear. The current place I am in uses an Evertz.
Did you notice that last month Evertz bought Quintech?

For years I have dreamed of having a Quintech L-band routing switcher in our plant, but sadly I don't see it happening. We had a Quintech 8x1 switcher that died, and I wound up designing my own compatible replacement -- had ExpressPCB fabricate the boards, and used Panasonic RF relays. Performance is not bad at all, considering that I was grossly approximating 75 ohm impedance on the board's traces.

Jeff

grich

Post by grich » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 am
...Did you notice that last month Evertz bought Quintech?...
No I didn't...great. :roll:

We do use Quintech active splitters and LNB supplies.

Rolling your own sounds like a fun project. I had to build up some small perfboards with terminal blocks and optos earlier this year, and I wondered when was the last time I actually built anything? Can't remember to bring home dinner, but I still remember what Radio Shack part number 276-1576 was...

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:15 pm

grich wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm
Can't remember to bring home dinner, but I still remember what Radio Shack part number 276-1576 was...
My wife and I both worked for Radio Shack about 40 years ago (not at the same time, though... we hadn't met yet). Even now if one of us goes "15-1140", the other will probably come back with "75 ohm to 300 ohm matching transformer). I never figured out why circuit boards, etching kits, and etchant solution were grouped under 276 (which was semiconductors) instead of under 270, which was chassis and similar mechanical stuff. I remember one shipment that arrived with a bottle of ferric chloride that had leaked all over everything else in the box... that was one horrific mess. The shipper wouldn't accept responsibility, because nobody could prove that the bottle wasn't leaking when it was packed.

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 pm

NECRAT wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm
I called Quintech on Friday & was told Evertz has bought the company.

Quintech also seems to be Compusat's recommendation. I've got literature on the way..

(edit: always read ALL the replies before replying:) )
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 am

For years I have dreamed of having a Quintech L-band routing switcher in our plant, but sadly I don't see it happening.
Hey, I remember you guys in Syracuse always putting in for an L-Band router way back when I was in charge of capital for the company! You never did get one eh?
Damn things were always so expensive.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 am

Kelly wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm
Hey, I remember you guys in Syracuse always putting in for an L-Band router way back when I was in charge of capital for the company! You never did get one eh?
Damn things were always so expensive.
Nope, it never did happen... and now we have just over two dozen dishes, a bazillion Quintech active splitters, and small switches all over the place. Back in Ackerley days, we were only taking feeds for seven stations' program streams... but today it's up to 20, plus backup for a handful of passthroughs and the usual news feeds that we have to tune in for spoke stations that can't or won't. It's apparent now that the router would have saved us a great deal of money -- fewer dishes, the ability to automate satellite feeds -- but I don't think anyone could have reasonably anticipated this degree of growth twenty-five years ago. Hey... I remember thinking, back when we bought the 40x40 Utah AVS-1 back in 1984, that it was big enough that we would never outgrow it... :lol:

Jeff

grich

Post by grich » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 am
... I remember thinking, back when we bought the 40x40 Utah AVS-1 back in 1984, that it was big enough that we would never outgrow it... :lol:
I think our AVS-1 started out 40x40 mono, then expanded to 60x40 stereo (but only for the first 40 inputs). Full long before I arrived in '94. Kinda miss it...it was bullet-proof.