PC Software for Audio Processor for FM translator ?

FM does it with frequency!
Fran3

PC Software for Audio Processor for FM translator ?

Post by Fran3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Looking for suggestions for Audio Processor software that will run on a Windows machine.

Will be used on an interim basis for an FM Translator.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ray

Re: PC Software for Audio Processor for FM translator ?

Post by Ray » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Several folks really like Stereo Tool. The author has had displays at NAB a few times. Cost is very reasonable.
I think Orban and Telos also have software versions

https://www.stereotool.com/

Ray

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 pm

I can't speak to the others but the Orban PC card version lacks a final peak limiter / clipper so it sounds very weak on air when compared to a real processor.

...Lee

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 pm

I use Stereo Tool in several installations, both AM and FM.

If you need the program to produce stereo composite, you'll need a computer that can handle the physical size of a 192kHz audio card... either that or a 192kHz USB-interface. If you're in a competitive environment, that gives you the use of the program's composite processing.

A computer with an HD audio output would have the bandwidth, but I haven't tried it yet... don't know if it would have the drive level.

If you're outputting L/R or AES, I like the Henry Engineering USB Matchbox II. A single rack shelf will handle one of those next to a Lenovo ThinkCentre Mini, which I also use a lot of. Put Team Viewer (or the like) on it and you have remote control and monitoring of the audio. The Matchbox has enough output to drive AM or FM.

If you put one in permanently, and want it, the program also has built-in RDS.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 am

RodeoJack wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 pm
I use Stereo Tool in several installations, both AM and FM.

If you're outputting L/R or AES, I like the Henry Engineering USB Matchbox II. A single rack shelf will handle one of those next to a Lenovo ThinkCentre Mini, which I also use a lot of. Put Team Viewer (or the like) on it and you have remote control and monitoring of the audio. The Matchbox has enough output to drive AM or FM.
Any suggestion for an suitable sound card brand / model to output composite? I have sold my loaner AM processor and would like to replace it with something that will do AM or FM either.

Thanks,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

The M-Audio "Audiophile 192" was a popular card. I bought a bunch of them and, since none has ever failed, still have them in use. You can find them on Ebay fairly cheap. They're PCI cards though, so you need a computer with the older sockets.

SoundBlaster has newer cards that pass 192kHz.

The Marian Trace Alpha was probably the best one, "out of the box", but it's more expensive and harder to find.

Audio Science markets a 192kHz card that was, at least partially, built for this purpose. It's bulletproof, but more expensive.

Beyond that, the USB interfaces work well, if you don't mind controls you'll never use. The Behringer "U-Phoria" series is among them. A friend has one of these in a mountaintop setting, where there are no 'knob twisters'.

The main issue with these cards appears to be how they couple between stages. The Marian card Is DC coupled, so there's no tilt in the output. Other cards have capacitor-coupled stages. They work well with the correction function in Stereo Tool, but it gives the 'purist' out there something to complain about.

I've run cards that needed a little correction. The difference was, maybe, 2 or 3% modulation recovered. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference, but you can calibrate these things so the comparison with any other card is negligible.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks. I have a couple of the Behringer USB devices and will give one a try with Stereo Tool I have experimented with various cheap laptops in trying to put together a loaner/rental processor but none of them seemed to have enough horsepower to keep up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 pm
I have experimented with various cheap laptops in trying to put together a loaner/rental processor but none of them seemed to have enough horsepower to keep up.
I have StationPlaylist, StereoTool and the SP streaming utility running on a $250 refurbed Thinkpad T530 i5-3320M with 8 gigs of RAM and the thing barely breaks a sweat. It doesn't take much to run it as long as you have at least four cores and set ST to use them.
Attachments
5c1aaf8e.jpg
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 am

I have had very good luck with HP Z400 workstations used for both on-air and production.
You can get them with loaded with Windows 7 and >8 GB RAM often for <$200.
I probably have about eight of them now.
They are very well made (much better than consumer grade) and very stable.
Corporations used them and turn them into the resellers and then ebay.
I have even found them to be as stable (or more so) than rack mounted servers that I've also used.

Ray

DaveSt

Post by DaveSt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am

Ray wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 am
I have had very good luck with HP Z400 workstations used for both on-air and production.
You can get them with loaded with Windows 7 and >8 GB RAM often for <$200.
I probably have about eight of them now.
They are very well made (much better than consumer grade) and very stable.
Corporations used them and turn them into the resellers and then ebay.
I have even found them to be as stable (or more so) than rack mounted servers that I've also used.

Ray
Same here. They are almost given away on ebay. They are good for just about any broadcast radio application. They have PCI slots available too.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am

I've never used it for on air, but I have breakaway one running my stream proccessing. 4 stations on one pc, with the encoder software as well, Its a low end dell r210 1u server with an asi card.I like the way it sounds. It will do Composote out, with a 192Khz Audio card.