"Help" desk

A case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)? Tell us about your war stories!
PID_Stop

"Help" desk

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am

This morning one of our file servers that converts video files for our playout system literally went up in smoke. Found the serial number, filed a support ticket with HP, and about five minutes later got an email back from them.
Please upload log files from the machine to the Dropbox folder we have created.
I replied that since the machine was completely dead with smoke coming out, there would not be any log files. A few minutes later my phone rings: it's a support tech calling from some continent where English does not even qualify as a second language.
Can you upload photograph or video of arcing and smoke?
Umm, no, we were too busy disconnecting power and making sure it didn't set the entire rack on fire to stop and take pictures.
This is most unfortunate.
Some things just cannot be made up. At least they're sending a field engineer tomorrow to fix it... hope it's someone we can understand.

:roll:

Jeff

grich

Re: "Help" desk

Post by grich » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Love talking to first-level support that insist on working the script, even though your introduction to the problem stated all of the obvious first troubleshooting steps had been taken.

Perhaps side-tracking the thread, but I've found it interesting that the two most productive IT troubleshooting phone calls I've ever had were with women, one a Gateway tech trying to revive a dead PC, the other at an ISP help desk talking me through rebuilding the TCP stack of a virus-attacked PC back in the early days.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Frankly, I usually find the most productive help desk is http://www.google.com :(
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Can you upload photograph or video of arcing and smoke?

You know he just wanted this to post on his cubicle wall lol.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 pm

At least they called back and 5 minutes is pretty darned amazing.

We have all had to wait for hours or even days to get a call back from Harris. In a way though we are all pretty spoiled since most tech support I have dealt with in broadcast is with English speakers. The funniest one I ever listened to was tech support for a NEC or a Hitachi TV transmitter - I can't remember since it wasn't mine. The tech support guy was Japanese but he had relocated to Dallas and the Japanese accent with a Texas drawl was pretty funny.

...Lee

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 am

Got one of those "Microsoft calls----your computer has a problem with Windows:. I responded that "my computer don't got no windows, it's got a hat" (Fedora). Boy, was he confused. So bad he called his "other poor English speaking supervisor" over to talk to me. After yanking his chain for a couple more minutes, I hung up. I musta insulted them cause they never called back.

Other similar call....told the guy "I ain't got no computer". He was kinda confused too. I am having fun with some of these calls. The other good one is the "car warranty" call. I tell them my vehicxe has 281,000 miles on it and they kinda stay silent for a bit. Car actually has that many miles on it.

Fossil

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 am

The field tech is due shortly, so we have the server out of the rack and ready for him (it's the very top device in the rack, of course).

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:29 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 am
Got one of those "Microsoft calls----your computer has a problem with Windows:. I responded that "my computer don't got no windows, it's got a hat" (Fedora). Boy, was he confused. So bad he called his "other poor English speaking supervisor" over to talk to me.
Fossil
While waiting out a thunderstorm at a site where I was working on a ground system... I got one of those MS calls and was in an evil, evil mood. I continued to mess with the "tech" until he finally caught on and threatened to but a "boom" in my house.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

jthorusen

Post by jthorusen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:26 am

Not too long before I retired from KCBS, they had a PC go up in smoke in master control. Lots of open doors and fans blowing in the hallway to try to get the stink out. I was tempted to start an internet rumor, but decided that I had better not. The rumor would have gone something like this: "Yeah, we just got hit with the PYRO virus.... it causes your computer to burn up. I hope the anti-virus vendors are on top of this one before it gets completely out of hand. In the meanwhile, better unplug ALL of your computers if you want to avoid any PYRO virus caused fires." :wink:

I didn't do it for obvious reasons, but it would have been interesting to see how far it would have gone.

Regards,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

Nice IOT. Mine all have burn marks on 'em.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

carver

Post by carver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm

this is the reality of Nauru ((
who has no money for software tester courses,
forced to work in a call center.
/carv

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm

w9wi wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm
Frankly, I usually find the most productive help desk is http://www.google.com :(
As someone who dies IT deskside support for my 'real job', there is a lot of truth to that statement. I use Google more than I care to admit when researching a problem. The trick is being able to weed out the garbage in the search results.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org