BE FM-5BS PROBLEM

FM does it with frequency!
RGORJANCE

BE FM-5BS PROBLEM

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am

PROBLEM:

Lightning strike/pwr surge takes out overload threshold settings in controller, Two-three front panel meters quit. Replaced parts on PA metering board. Replaced a couple chips that got whacked on main ctrlr card. Meters come back to life. Xmttr makes power. Lost filter choke in P/S.during troubleshooting Plate overload actually works with blown choke. Hmmmmmmm. Replace choke, ovlds still won't adjust. No effect at ll.

Pulled ENTIRE CONTROLLER box, and APC. Took it to another xmttr , installed both units and everything works, including ovld thresholds in the other xmttr..

Rang out cables to metering board, could not find problem. BE manual awkward to figure out wire routing of mtrg data from metering board. We could still have problem in metering board....next effort in the works.

Has anyone had this problem? We got 4 guys in the "stump the chump mode". Any ideas would be appreciated.

Flustered Fossil

ChuckG

Re: BE FM-5BS PROBLEM

Post by ChuckG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Ugh what fun.
I wonder what sort of interface there is between the controller cards and the rest of the transmitter?
Any chokes, feed-thoughs, filter caps, etc that interface the controller box to the rest of the transmitter?
I've never seen this transmitter in the wild, so the most I can do is stand by with the holy water. Are the drawings available online?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:45 am

Hi Chuck:

Remember, the controller/controller cage and APC works in another rig.

Entire IB is on line at BE......but the one major drawing I need....the wire runs with numbers is not in the book. That makes tracing this stuff really hard.

There is a full blown filter board in the controller cage----that works.

At this point, we can only conclude it is wiring, or still more problems on metering board......or both. I was hoping one of the really smart guys here could bail us out.

Fossil

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:00 am

Have you replaced the magic smoke? :P
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

Which smoke---outta our nostrils, or ears, or both? :lol:

We have used the H, BH, GBH, and the GBFH with total immunity. :twisted:

Our next effort is to go thru the metering board and wiring one more time. We could have missed something really simple by over-thinking the problem

Fossil

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Many moons ago I had something similar happen to a BE tube rig. After a lot of tracing, I discovered one of the bypass caps in one of the wires connecting between the controller and some solid state relays had shorted. The caps were soldered on a PC backplane board mounted in the aluminum shielding box. The only way I finally figured it out, was to check for voltages using an oscilloscope. The offending wire had no go-voltage to a necessary solid state relay. That one took me a while to find.