Cheap Chyron

It's just radio with pictures! :)
TPT

Cheap Chyron

Post by TPT » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 am

Last time I worked in TV we worked with a high band Ampex 1000--which finally got pulled to create space for an Ampex cart player (ACR-25?)

I take care of a college radio station, just got off a call with the prof. who teaches radio/tv production. Her "Chyron" in their TV production studio died, replacement quoted at $20K.

Any type of captioning device available for substantially less? PC based perhaps? Suggestions welcomed.

PID_Stop

Re: Cheap Chyron

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 am

You're looking for graphics generation, not captioning, right?

If they are using a newer Ross production switcher (e.g., a Carbonite), a relatively inexpensive solution is the least expensive version of XPression. It runs on a standard PC, and pushes rendered graphics into switcher frame buffers so that you don't need actual graphic generator hardware. The downside is that it doesn't support things like motion backgrounds and slick transitions.

If they are looking for an expedient way to generate graphics and don't care about it closely emulating broadcast systems, use a PC with dual HDMI outputs to run PowerPoint for the graphics, putting a solid color background into the slide master -- pure green or blue, for instance. The primary output would feed the monitor, the second would drive an HDMI to HD-SDI converter to feed the switcher. If you use a color background in the slide master, it's simple matter to chromakey the graphic over live video; if you use black, a luminance key can work (as long as the graphic doesn't also contain black). Newer production switchers can do such a good chromakey or luminance key nowadays that it is nearly indistinguishable from what used to require separate key and fill signals to accomplish. In either case, PowerPoint thinks it's feeding a projector, so the operator monitor provides useful feedback about the next slide, etc.

Jeff

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 am

Older switcher, don't know the model.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 am

I should backtrack... are they analog, or standard def digital, or what? If they're that old, maybe a better solution is to seek out a piece of used equipment.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:10 am

I had heard rumors of a new version of the Video Toaster that had run on Amiga hardware. I assume if it's been resurrected that it would run on more modern, likely Intel, hardware. I had one of the originals in our district before I was able to score a Chyron VP-2, which we used until it got so tired it decided to not come up again.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

jawsborne

Post by jawsborne » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm

I was recently told about a good and very inexpensive solution. The software made by NewblueFX, Titler Live, runs on PC or Mac ($950), add a Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2 PCI-E card to send key/fill SDI to switcher ($500), and you have 2 channels of a character generator with animation capabilities.

https://www.newbluefx.com/tutorials/tit ... ll-output/