STL recommendations

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
kell_vern

STL recommendations

Post by kell_vern » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:47 am

hi guys, i need your inputs on this.
i need STL recommendations that is compatible with our current setup.
i think our current STL(old rvr) needs replacement, this is our setup.
tia :D

STUDIO:
OMNIA 6EX >RVR PTRL-NV>ANTENNA

TX SITE:
ANTENNA>RVR RXRL-NV>HARRIS DIGIT CD>FAX 20K

TPT

Re: STL recommendations

Post by TPT » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:12 am

In ascending order:

1. Haven't heard much good said about Nicom

2. Have a pair of Marti composite units in service at one location I look after. The newest pair is about 7 years old. The power supplies in the Marti's are prone to failure, however, they are Meanwell supplies so replacements are not difficult co come by.

3. Have several locations with Armstrong STL's--which are essentially the same as (and still made by, I believe) RVR. Have an older Armstrong receiver on the bench now--fan failure, then they left the top off, accumulating pounds of dirt. That's a common problem with both the transmitters and receivers. However, the newer model transmitters will kill the transmitter if the fan fails. Annoying, but since this is a current sense circuit you can jeep in a substitute fan to get the unit running while you order a replacement. Better than burning up the unit!

4. Moseley still available as an analog link, cost is astronomical.

I would recommend the Armstrong X-link as best compromise of cost vs reliability. Unless the RVR pair shows signs of releasing the "magic smoke" I would look into rebuilding them as back-ups.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Count me me among the lucky I suppose, but my Moseley SL9002 has performed without incident for 13 years..save for replacing PS fans. But I also added something to the TX end which has no doubt improved performance....a good low group delay RX bandpass filter.

FWIW, I have a Moseley PCL606C available. Two TX's and one RX. All have been to the bench of J-Squared in the past few years. Was in operation when removed following a station sale last year. This was the classic set-up 25 years ago followed by a composite processor to eliminate overshoots. For a main today...I'm not so sure. Back-up...rock solid.

Contact me privately if interested.

RG

kell_vern

Post by kell_vern » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 am

thanks for the inputs guys.