Arrakis ARC-10 USB Noise

Qs23

Arrakis ARC-10 USB Noise

Post by Qs23 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:49 am

Hey,

The company got me an Arrakis ARC-10 to replace our aging newsroom board. I got everything wired up including using the board's USB to plug into the studio's WIN 10 dell desktop computer to record into adobe audition.

Well, as soon as you hit record, you hear a high pitched tone in the background running around -55 dbfs no matter if any of the channels were on or not. I looked at the spectral display and noticed that we had noise on every 1 kHz harmonic.

I originally thought that it was a power issue, so I got a UPS and plugged both into that and still got the noise. I even then unplugged everything from the board except the USB and still had it. The only way to stop the noise was to pull the USB. But then we can't record into the computer.

Has anybody else dealt with something like this?

sallen

Re: Arrakis ARC-10 USB Noise

Post by sallen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:06 am

Had the same problem with two Arc-15 consoles. Only way I found around the issue was to not use the Onboard USB and use an external one and use an iDefender3.0 with that setup.

I first started with buying an iDefender3.0 which helped a little but still did not get rid of the noise. The iDefender isolates the USB power used for the interface from the PC. You need a good quality wall wort for that. But I finally had to use an external USB interface to get rid of the noise and not use the internal Arrakis USB interface. Even with the external USB interface the whine was present but when I added the iDefender3.0 to that set up the whine went away and I no longer had the high pitched background noise.

The iDefender3.0 can also help if you don't want to rely on the PC as a power source for any USB audio interface. As always you need to configure the PC to not turn the USB port off when the computer thinks it's not in use.

Arrakis wasn't much help in getting rid of the noise. I did notice that shorter USB cables had less noise issues but it was the combination of the External USB interface and iDefender3.o that made all the whine go away.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am

The best USB broadcast interface is the Henry USB-II. Solid professional +20dBu in and out and has a real power supply which can be recapped as desired. You get what you pay for.... I have found if the USB relies on the internal power supply or uses a 12V wallwart, it's doesn't have the headroom needed to operate in an analog broadcast plant. It's that simple.

Qs23

Post by Qs23 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:38 pm

sallen wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:06 am
Had the same problem with two Arc-15 consoles. Only way I found around the issue was to not use the Onboard USB and use an external one and use an iDefender3.0 with that setup.

I first started with buying an iDefender3.0 which helped a little but still did not get rid of the noise. The iDefender isolates the USB power used for the interface from the PC. You need a good quality wall wort for that. But I finally had to use an external USB interface to get rid of the noise and not use the internal Arrakis USB interface.
How did you not use the internal Arrakis USB interface? Or do you mean not using the onboard USB on the computer? I'll try out this iDefender and see what it does.
radio_guru wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am
The best USB broadcast interface is the Henry USB-II. Solid professional +20dBu in and out and has a real power supply which can be recapped as desired. You get what you pay for.... I have found if the USB relies on the internal power supply or uses a 12V wallwart, it's doesn't have the headroom needed to operate in an analog broadcast plant. It's that simple.
For $500, I feel like those boxes are nice, but way overpriced for what they do. I can get a decent box that does the same thing from Tascam for around 1/4 of the cost. And it's wouldn't help in this case anyway. (I've got 5 of those boxes currently sitting in my storage waiting for streaming servers) The analog audio on Ch 9 (what the USB is hooked up to) is unbalanced RCA for input and the Audition bus output is RCA as well.

sallen

Post by sallen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am

I used an external audio interface and disabled the internal Arrakis USB audio interface. I used a spare USB audio interface which was no cost since it was sitting on the shelf. But had to pay for the iDefender3.0 so cost was cheaper than buying a new USB audio interface and iDefender or Henry USB device. I was still using the computers USB interface.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am

We looked at the Tascam products and found their low cost two-track units will not do more than +10 out as they use the PC's power supply or a wall wart. We've looked a lot of places and the Henry is the best thing going ...even at $500 for stereo I/O...for a professional studio. It's very quiet and doesn't put up a fuss. And it can be repaired/recapped. As I said, you get what you pay for...

Now, I'm willing to look at others, but they must be capable of driving 600ohms at +20 and less than 1% THD.

RG....

DaveSt

Post by DaveSt » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Finding a decent professional USB audio interface is not easy. One I have used with good results is the Yellowtec PUC2. It is 2x USB powered, so does not achieve the high levels of the Henry box, but a good choice if you want something USB powered. Like the Henry, it does not have any knobs or buttons to mess up. It has AES in/out as well as balanced analogue. It sounds very good.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Inserting a powered USB hub between the two may stop the noise.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Qs23

Post by Qs23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:16 am

radio_guru wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am
We looked at the Tascam products and found their low cost two-track units will not do more than +10 out as they use the PC's power supply or a wall wart. We've looked a lot of places and the Henry is the best thing going ...even at $500 for stereo I/O...for a professional studio. It's very quiet and doesn't put up a fuss. And it can be repaired/recapped. As I said, you get what you pay for...

Now, I'm willing to look at others, but they must be capable of driving 600ohms at +20 and less than 1% THD.

RG....
Well, I've got the Tascam US-1x2. We'll see how it goes when I head up there on Thursday.

I also got the iDefender, so we'll try that out as well.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:08 am

If you have an audio level meter, prove me wrong about the maximum output both voltage (bridging) and current (terminating). I suspect you will not see anything more than +12 however...if that. I'm seeing a lot of so-called professional USB sound cards which top out at +2(!!) due to the very fact they only have 5V to work with. At least with PCI cards, they can access the bi-polar supply of the host machine.

RG