IS GATES AIR STILL THERE?

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

IS GATES AIR STILL THERE?

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 am

What is going on in Quinky? A couple of us up here in Fly Over Country Wisconsin have tried to get in touch with the parts department only to get a recorded message that we will get a call back in one day. I called them Thursday, and all I hear is one lonely, weak, tired cricket chirping. Same thing for a friend up North.

This doesn't sound too good. Did the last one outta town turn off the lights?

Fossil

kkiddkkidd

Re: IS GATES AIR STILL THERE?

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:05 am

I haven't seen anything on any of the other lists that I am subbed to.

The last that I heard, they were more stable but who knows.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm having a problem with one of my DX-10s. Ralph is still there and has been very helpful.
I didn't have any trouble getting ahold of him, though they did put my call in queue. I think it was, maybe, a couple of hours before he got back to me.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:19 am

Must just be us Fossil. :lol: I'll try them again in the morning. We'll see....
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:12 am

A local engineer needed some BE RF modules repaired. Called BE, got a recorded "Leave a message and we'll get back to you later today" and never got a call back. Called again two days later, same message, finally got a call back. Sent two modules in. They found half a dozen bad parts on each one. They sent the modules back. One worked, one didn't: the "Drive" LED didn't light up. He had to call and wait again to send it back. I think the turn-around time was 2-3 weeks. You'd think that a repeat call on a repaired module would jump to the front of the queue.

Must be a problem in the Quincy area that's affecting more than GatesAir.

Bob M.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am

Haven't had any real problems with either outfit in the psst, so this is strange.
Where I have run into serious issues with other entities, attacking the problem "from the top down" has been a most effective solution.

I will attempt contact later this morning. Video at ten.....
Fossil

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 am

I've been dealing with Gates and no issues over the last two months.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:32 pm

I called to order parts a few weeks ago and as Fossil did, left a message with no call back.

Just this morning I got a message from our "new" Gates-Air sales rep who wants to meet. Could be interesting...

grich

Post by grich » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 pm

About two weeks ago, I had no trouble ordering a step-start contactor retrofit kit for a HT-10.

I had far more trouble finding all the other damage caused by the lightning hit that took the step-start contactor.

The plate transformer primary wires were right up against the bobbin of the transformer facing the front side of the box...probably has been this way for years. A hole was punched between the secondary winding and the primary wires. There wasn't a measurable carbon track, not in an area where I usually have found damage and it was hidden from the back of the transmitter. When I had the front covers off the transmitter, I finally spotted the slight smudge of black around the fault point.

BE T-series FM transmitters had a service bulletin a few years ago warning of cable dress around the plate transformer for this very reason.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:56 am

Was able to make contact yesterday. Outcome not good as what was needed is unobtanium. Back to drawing board, or customer will have to drop back ten and punt.

Fossil