TV OTA antennas

It's just radio with pictures! :)
radio_guru

TV OTA antennas

Post by radio_guru » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:00 pm

Saw this thread on another list and am running into the same situation with couple clients who have OTA, but are concerned about the repack and reception matters. Their installations are marginal at present and they want to improve performance.

Does anyone know of any new directional RX antenna designs and products which emphasizes 470-608 as opposed to the 470-700 or even more ancient 470-802? Naturally, this would be in addition to 174-216...which is seeing some additions to VHF-Hi as some stations take the money and go down.

You would think that this would be a hot topic in the TVRO world. But a year+ into it, most still spec bandwidth well beyond what is needed after next year. Or in many places, later this year. What's worse, many also base their highest gain spec above 650MHz where it's already meaningless in areas through phase 5. Phase 6 comes next month.

Aside from Blonder-Tounge, which has log periodics in that range, but with minimal gain, who might have a new antenna for the repacked band? Same with good low noise and group delay pre-amps. Most of the stuff out there is junk and will get blown away by LTE starting at 640. Ideas welcome.

RG

Deep Thought

Re: TV OTA antennas

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:15 pm

Any old-school "fishbone" antenna is always your best bet unless you are UHF-only. Then a four bay bow tie will win just about every time.

The "new" antenna designs are really bad. I tried one of the "Leaf" antennas when they came out and a simple UHF loop did a better job.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:58 am

But they're all still designed to go up to 698. What's available that's been redesigned for 470-608?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:51 am

Nothing. Why would they if the older wideband designs work?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 pm

We often recommend antennas like these Channel Master models, since all of the stations in our area are UHF. Even if the antenna gain tends to rise with the frequency, that's not necessarily a bad thing: in a real world system, it tends to offset cable loss, which also increases with frequency.

Jeff

ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Just saw off the last three or four directors.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:15 pm
Any old-school "fishbone" antenna is always your best bet unless you are UHF-only. Then a four bay bow tie will win just about every time.

The "new" antenna designs are really bad. I tried one of the "Leaf" antennas when they came out and a simple UHF loop did a better job.
I want to +1 this. I am using my 20 year old Wingard corner reflector, and have great post repack results with it. Except on the station in Boston that went to VHF 5,

And the leaf was the biggest scam going. What a piece of junk.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am

I talked to a ph co tech last nite, he says he bought the most expensive ant to watch the local PBS station and can't get it.
He bought a UHF ant, PBS here is on VHF...
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am
He bought a UHF ant, PBS here is on VHF...
Sounds like the viewer call I got this morning from a woman in Oswego, about 40 miles northwest of Syracuse: our station dropped out of her channel lineup after she rescanned her TV. After exhausting other possibilities, I suggested that she double-check which way her antenna was aimed... and she told me the antenna couldn't be the problem because the installer pointed it exactly north. Aha, I said... it's aimed at Kingston Ontario, not at Syracuse, so you need to move it to point south-southeast, facing our transmitter site.

"You don't know what you're talking about! Antennas are designed to point north."

:roll:

Jeff

sallen

Post by sallen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am

This week I upgraded my dad OTA antenna from an old VHF only antenna to a Channel Master CM 2018. Works great was very happy with the antenna. I'm in the Seattle area (Vashobn Island) so the antenna is actually pointed in a North direction. Kinda split between Queen Ann and Capital hill.

I have also used an antenna marketed by RCA on Amazon for $42.57 for my house, not as much gain as the CM 2018, it's smaller (less gain) but works well if your within 20 miles with a good path (not really line of site, a few trees in the way).