ARC-16 problem

FM does it with frequency!
Joe Friday

ARC-16 problem

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes, I know they are old as dirt and should be tossed out immediately, but budgets being what they are, i would like to try to get a few more miles out this one. It has what would appear to be a rather minor problem. Status 8 is stuck on. This happened last spring following a lightning strike and I have just now been able to have a look at it.

I have replaced the input buffer IC's (U15&16) and the bus driver IC's (U1, 11, & 17) on the CH 1-8 I/O board without any change in the problem. I have an old chassis around, and even swapped the complete I/O board, and the problem remains. If it were a stuck bit on the CPU board, I would expect to see other issues, but it works properly in all other respects.

Just wondering if anyone has been down this road previously?

Thanks!

Kevin

awsherrill

Re: ARC-16 problem

Post by awsherrill » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Here's a dumb question...is status eight set to "inverted"?

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:18 am

Last night that same thought occurred to me...I need to check.

Thanks!

Kevin

W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 am

By chance would you still be using the original ribbon cables between the interface panels and the main unit? I have had a few where the crimp on connectors got just enough corrosion after 25+ years on the IDC "forks" that erratic operation was the norm. Replaced them with some generic DB37 cables and everything went back to normal.

If you are upgrading to the ARC+ Touch and keeping the IP-8's, replacing the ribbon cables should be SOP.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC