Recommendations for EAS box?

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
jthorusen

Recommendations for EAS box?

Post by jthorusen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Here is a quote from RadioWorld on-line news:
Now, an effort to maintain compliance with commonly accepted security standards, FEMA is also taking the next step of removing support for older methods by requiring the use of an updated TLS 1.2 protocol to access FEMA’s IPAWS server, said Sage Alerting Systems and the Society of Broadcast Engineers.
The LPFM that I have been helping out has a Trilithic Easycast EAS unit. Trilithic says that this is an "end of life" item... even though it is less than 5 years old. Their solution to the TLS 1.2 change is to buy a new unit for more than $2K... which is more than is present in the stations coffers.

This is purely a software issue.... my browser got an upgrade to support the new security protocol which downloaded and installed in less than 2 minutes. I don't believe there is any excuse for this position on the part of Trilithic except to gouge the customer. Software should be updateable. BTW, this is the SECOND time Trilithic has done this to the station... that's why they have the Easycast unit they have now. (Rant off.)

So... any recommendations for a new unit other than Trilithic? Sage has been talked about here and they seem able to deal with software updates without replacing all the hardware. Any thoughts pro or con? Any other recommendations? Price is important; so is support and the availability of software upgrades.

Thanks,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations for EAS box?

Post by NECRAT » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:53 pm

100% on the Sage. Easy to program , use, etc. They are also charging for the new TLS certificate, but it's only like $300.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:05 am

Agree. Recommended Sage to a couple of low power and small non-com stations.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 am

NECRAT wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:53 pm
100% on the Sage. Easy to program , use, etc. They are also charging for the new TLS certificate, but it's only like $300.

I concur on Sage. I am highly upset at Dasdec.

As far as I know, Sage, DasDec and Trilithic are the only units available and Sage is by far the easiest to setup and operate AND seems to be more reliable than the DasDec. For large operations and TV, the DasDec may be useful but it is a royal PITA to setup with little tidbits of required setup items hid under odd headings. Supposedly, v4 software has streamlined initial setup and maintenance but I haven't seen v4 yet.

IF you have a DasDec unit that has v2.x software, v3 software will make you compliant. However, DasDec won't sell you v3 by itself. However you do have to buy v3 to get v4... Talking about gouging. The upgrade from v2.x to v4 will cost almost $1k per unit.

IF you have DasDec v3 software you are compliant and don't have to upgrade. You just can't buy v3 by itself...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

n8rat

Post by n8rat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Kevin,

I agree with your sentiments on DASDEC. They are quoting us about a thousand dollars for another upgrade to our software. Seems we just spent around $500 not that long ago to do a previous upgrade. Not only that, they mentioned our unit is almost 10 years old now with a life expectancy of just 5 years. Of course they are recommending a “trade-up” with our old unit to newer gear. I should live so long.

Seems to me a couple of software upgrades shouldn't put oneself close to half the cost of a new unit that has a 5 year life expectancy. Planned obsolescence anyone?

We're getting quotes on replacement gear now. I'm favoring the Sage 3644 which I've installed before at other stations with few issues.

Regards,

Rod

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm

5 years? I get better life out of those $150 refurb pc's from Amazon.