HOLIDAY GREETNGS

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

HOLIDAY GREETNGS

Post by RGORJANCE »

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,,,,,,,,,and may your phone remain "Silent Night" every night.

Fossil
w9wi

Re: HOLIDAY GREETNGS

Post by w9wi »

Amen.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for thinking of us, Fossil. Merry Christmas to all. My phone will be silent. No on-call in current job. (Of course it’s not in broadcasting, right?)
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas and Silent Night...

I have already had the other shoe fall today. A client called earlier to say that all of his sat RX's were in alarm but ESPN was (thankfully) using the internet backup. Nothing off the air but no news, Santa updates, etc. This owner has half a brain and is checking cable and LNB. Hopefully he will find something obvious.

Regards,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com
Shane

Post by Shane »

This owner has half a brain
Was that a compliment or an insult? :roll: :wink:
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

Shane wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:11 pm
This owner has half a brain
Was that a compliment or an insult? :roll: :wink:
Quite a strong compliment... He isn't like most other radio owners that I have worked for. Literally grew up in the radio station but has a degree in some genre of farming, farmer, outdoorsman, competitive shooter, big game hunter. You would never know that he had even listened to a radio until the mic goes on.

I have to go to his station Thursday AM. It looks like a bad LNB.

I hope everyone has a Safe and Merry Christmas.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

RGORJANCE wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:23 am Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,,,,,,,,,and may your phone remain "Silent Night" every night.

Fossil
And the same to you up nort. :)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

RGORJANCE wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:23 amHope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,,,,,,,,,and may your phone remain "Silent Night" every night.
Fossil -

The same to you and to everyone else here. Every night has been a silent night for my phone since I retired from full-time work - my contract clients do not pay me enough to wake me up, they just get first call when on my services when I'm awake.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html
Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice »

Here's hoping everyone had an enjoyable and relatively uneventful celebration with friends and family ... and no calls from "Ms. Burk"
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions
ChuckG

Post by ChuckG »

kkiddkkidd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:54 am I have already had the other shoe fall today. A client called earlier to say that all of his sat RX's were in alarm
Had a real oddity about 3 weeks ago up here. All our receivers went into fault. Then those at our stations in the next city over went into fault. 40 miles away.
I called Westwood..all OK on their end. Then I called Learfield and the engineer on duty had the brilliant idea to check signal strength on receivers geographically close to me.
Turns out the entire northern half of Wisconsin (we checked 10+ cities) had faded to zero for about 45 minutes..then gradually ramped back up. No place else. Nobody knows why. And..wait for it.....Nobody else called.

Lol holidays. One xmitter off due to freezing rain. Another calling on foldback. Two Automation error messages and a partridge in a pear tree apparently. Could be much worse :)

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com
Shane

Post by Shane »

Nobody else called.
Heh. Westwood ALWAYS says that! Sometimes it might even be true. :mrgreen:
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
RGORJANCE

Re: faded to zero for about 45 minutes

Post by RGORJANCE »

It's them thar aliens again! Some creatures will do anything to get our attention.

Could it have been some Air Force electronics exercise??? Forgot what they call the airborne search planes.

Fossil
kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

My sat outage yesterday was a bit odd as well.

I had suspected the LNB and it was in fact the LNB. However, the old Jones era LNB (probably 20yrs old) was still working but over 200mhz off freq low on the l-band output... I don't know that I have ever witnessed an LNB be that far off but still working otherwise. It even appeared to have almost normal gain after I found the proper carrier groups.

Even odder, I expected the EB's to improve from their past values after installing a new Norsat 3220, but they were within a point of being exactly the same as the ancient CalAmp LNB from Jones. That old CalAmp LNB must have been pretty darned stable (until it wasn't) because all of the receivers had been acquiring signal very quickly and didn't see any significant improvement with the new 3220 10khz LNB.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering
ChuckG

Post by ChuckG »

kkiddkkidd wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:20 pm I expected the EB's to improve from their past values after installing a new Norsat 3220, but they were within a point of being exactly the same
Well that's annoying.

Same thing here when I replaced all the old LNB's with brand new Norsats. I had such high hopes. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com
ChuckG

Re: faded to zero for about 45 minutes

Post by ChuckG »

RGORJANCE wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:41 am
Could it have been some Air Force electronics exercise???
I think so. They've had a lot of planes in the air lately too and the sonic boom the other day, when one pilot decided to play around a bit was fun.
I'm sure it isn't worth the time to make a few calls though, you know what the answer will be. :mrgreen:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com