Looking for help in the Florida panhandle

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
wakjradio

Looking for help in the Florida panhandle

Post by wakjradio »

Hello, first post on the forum. I am looking for an engineer to help troubleshoot a problem we are having with our FM radio station in Defuniak Springs, FL. I used to manage the station and we never had an engineer(very small station in a small town). We run Barix units that transfer our signal from the studio to the transmitter site and then it goes into an Optimod 8100a and then to a Nicom NT30 and then to a Energy Onix SSA-1000C amplifier. Usually when we got knocked off the air it was a configuration issue with the Barix units but Ive pretty much ruled that out at this point. I guess what I need is someone who has the experience with FM radio to help me troubleshoot what we have going on here. Please excuse my novice level...

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Looking for help in the Florida panhandle

Post by NECRAT »

wakjradio wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm
Hello, first post on the forum. I am looking for an engineer to help troubleshoot a problem we are having with our FM radio station in Defuniak Springs, FL. I used to manage the station and we never had an engineer(very small station in a small town). We run Barix units that transfer our signal from the studio to the transmitter site and then it goes into an Optimod 8100a and then to a Nicom NT30 and then to a Energy Onix SSA-1000C amplifier. Usually when we got knocked off the air it was a configuration issue with the Barix units but Ive pretty much ruled that out at this point. I guess what I need is someone who has the experience with FM radio to help me troubleshoot what we have going on here. Please excuse my novice level...
So you need to find a point to troubleshoot at, start from.
Do you have audio at the Orban, on the input to the Optimod?
Do you have audio on the input to the Exstreamer?
Can you ping the TX site from the studio?

FWIW: Those Barix boxes are known for having flaky wall-warts that can do some strange things. I've ran into that. May be worth checking if you have a faulty wall-wart.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Thanks for your response NECRAT. I am uploading a video to Youtube now that might help you be able to help me more. Like I said I am no expert and am very appreciative of any help any of you could help me with. I will reply with the Youtube link as soon as it finishes uploading.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

What he said...

Plus,
Do you know if the FM TX is making power and you just don't have audio to the processor OR is the TX off.

I am in Southern TN.

Regards,

NECRAT wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:00 pm
wakjradio wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm
So you need to find a point to troubleshoot at, start from.
Do you have audio at the Orban, on the input to the Optimod?
Do you have audio on the input to the Exstreamer?
Can you ping the TX site from the studio?

FWIW: Those Barix boxes are known for having flaky wall-warts that can do some strange things. I've ran into that. May be worth checking if you have a faulty wall-wart.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Deleted
Last edited by wakjradio on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Deleted
Last edited by wakjradio on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Here are some more pics for reference.
Attachments
IMG_20200313_164516.jpg
IMG_20200313_164510.jpg
IMG_20200313_164506.jpg
IMG_20200313_164454.jpg
IMG_20200313_164441.jpg

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Here is a pic of the status page of the studio side Barix unit. It shows the audio levels are going into that unit as well.
Last edited by wakjradio on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

OK a couple of things from everything here. The obvious things (to me anyways).

1) The Orban has audio going into it. So the Barix is likely not the issue.

2) The Nicom NT30 exciter has an amber VDC LED on it. I don't know this unit well enough to know if that is a tri colored LED or not. But judging how the other two are green, I am willing to bet it is. I would look at there possibly being a power supply issue with that exciter. There could be a potential issue with the MPX output of the Orban but I am leaning towards that VDC.

3) The top unit is the high powered amplifier (HPA). The connections between the exciter and HPA, as well as the configuration should only be done by an expert. Failure to set it up correctly or to move a wire in the wrong place could seriously cause damage or worse you hurt yourself.

Honestly, you need to get an engineer on site to troubleshoot this further than we can help.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

First thing, delete the Barix screen photo showing the transmitter site IP address.

All of the Optimod meters are pegged. What does the L or R Filter Out meter position read?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Done, the Optimod meter reads a jumping between 40-70 when i select either L or R Filter Out

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Actually the more I monitor it it is more of a continuous fluctuation between 20-80

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

You should probably reduce the input level so the gain reduction meters are at least on scale. That poor thing is being badly overdriven.

Are you running in mono or stereo? Are you feeding both input channels (L and R)?

You can put a pair of headphones across the composite BNC jack to check for audio out of the box. Make sure you do not put them on first because it may be LOUD.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

Excellent! I ran a set of speakers off of the BNC fitting like you said and I am getting the signal very clear coming out of the Optimod. It must be the Nicom unit or above that in the chain where the problem lies. It is running in stereo and yes both left and right channels are hooked up. I think Necrat was right and it is probably an issue with the VDC in the exciter. Thoughts?

wakjradio

Post by wakjradio »

I also tried jumping the speaker off the output BNC that goes into the Amplifier and could not get the signal. Would you say that narrows it down to the exciter Nicom NT30 unit? That alongside the VDC light being amber? Man I should of went to school to be an engineer instead of a truck driver...this is kind of fun. :lol: