simple-free or low cost

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
TPT

simple-free or low cost

Post by TPT »

Looking for simple music player--takes a list, plays cuts randomly, & can insert ID's, liners every so often. For a low power.
Tried Station Playlist, but would cost $400 for anything that would work. Tried Zara, but kept stopping...has to be able to run unattended.
Suggestions?

kkiddkkidd

Re: simple-free or low cost

Post by kkiddkkidd »

StationPlayList is the best, cheap, playout system that I have found thus far. I have a couple stations running it for pure jukebox type music and it plays and plays. I haven't found it to be very good for satellite or external control. I have not tried Zara but will at some point.

I have downloaded and installed Zulu from NCH Software. I haven't played with it enough to form an opinion but it is about $30. NCH makes some very nice apps for other purposes. They have a multi stream server (Broadwave) that will stream 8 different streams with a limited number of listeners at the same time from a win pc. I have it on a PC at a very distant client's studio to listen to various program lines and satellite receivers.

The Lite version of SPL is $135. I think that you can make a generic log with rotators that can play all day, every day without the need for Creator. Creator is actually a pretty good basic music scheduling app.

I too am interested in hearing about any other very cheap or free players.

I have a laptop around here somewhere with an old abandoned version of BSI Wave station that I have used as an emergency backup.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

Spend the money. If it isn't worth $400 it isn't worth doing.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice »

I did the original Radio World review of StationPlaylist back in 2007 and have been using it ever since. Sure, it may require some external hardware to really nail down external control or closures but by far it's one of the most cost-effective systems out there. I think it's a bargain for what it does and it's matured quite a bit since my review from when I ran it on my former webstream.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm
I did the original Radio World review of StationPlaylist back in 2007 and have been using it ever since. Sure, it may require some external hardware to really nail down external control or closures but by far it's one of the most cost-effective systems out there. I think it's a bargain for what it does and it's matured quite a bit since my review from when I ran it on my former webstream.
There is a very active email reflector where the SPL programmers hang out and provide free support. I still prefer Simian for lower cost systems but if a jukebox with timed functions is all you need, it works very well.

I have also written a little app to convert Creator generated logs to BSI text import format. I had a couple of stations that were building BSI logs by hand every day and tried SPL Creator. They went from spending hours making music logs to minutes.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice »

I grew very weary about anything from BSI as I heard about a station, I believe in Massachusetts, almost lost it all due to WaveStation being an utter piece of junk. After hearing the story from a radio consultant I decided to steer clear of anything from them.

At the time I was considering a low-cost option from RCS but discovered StationPlaylist and opted for it. The low yearly support fee makes it all worth is, as the listserv is quite responsive and Ross and his programmers are very receptive to changes which can better things for the masses.

That's pretty good you were able to convert Creator to be compatible with BSI's expected input. The StationPlaylist suite works great together and I had heard of people using Creator with other programs. Nice job.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 am
I grew very weary about anything from BSI as I heard about a station, I believe in Massachusetts, almost lost it all due to WaveStation being an utter piece of junk. After hearing the story from a radio consultant I decided to steer clear of anything from them.

At the time I was considering a low-cost option from RCS but discovered StationPlaylist and opted for it. The low yearly support fee makes it all worth is, as the listserv is quite responsive and Ross and his programmers are very receptive to changes which can better things for the masses.

That's pretty good you were able to convert Creator to be compatible with BSI's expected input. The StationPlaylist suite works great together and I had heard of people using Creator with other programs. Nice job.
WaveStation wasn't particularly great but it worked for many people. I still have 1ea client running WaveStation. They do weekly reboots, defrag, etc, etc and it keeps going. Simian was a huge improvement over WS. Especially the later versions. It is very flexible and works well for 2 or 3 consolidated stations. Anything larger than that and something like Nexgen would probably be better.

After about 30 years of screwing around with automation systems of almost every brand, I have never found one that was perfect. They all have their own little goofy quirks and problems.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com »

Another vote for stationplaylist. It has every broadcast feature. Including voicetracking and a robust music scheduler. No QSL database, uses any computer or soundcards.

In seven years is has never crashed or missed a spot. How many systems can say that. I do a reboot twice a year (one for the annual update). Support is around $70 a year.

Worth the price.

The other low cost option is Rivendell, but you need IT computer experience.

All the other free options are limited and are missing needed features for a radio station, but great for a internet setup. My choice in the group would be Playit live.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

musiconradio.com wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
The other low cost option is Rivendell, but you need IT computer experience.
Specifically Linux administration experience. It is a great, reliable system however since the OP put simple in the title......it is simple to use once setup. and you can pay for turnkey systems and support. once setup it basically just runs. I once took care of two stations, one running Google RadioAutomation ( which became wide-orbit automation), and one running rivendell (which took me about 3 months to go from zero linux experience to a stable running system). Rivendell was far more reliable. I needed a christmas music stream this last holiday season. built a rivendell box on the newest appliance image https://www.paravelsystems.com/rivendel ... -appliance v3.xx and the setup experience is greatly improved. You would still want someone with linux experience on hand to take care of it, or if you are so inclined, learn to administer it yourself, it's a good skill to have.

that said it does have quirks. if you choose to install your own on some other distro, that is when people seem to have the wierd issues. use the official CentOS based appliance and it is pretty smooth sailing in my experience. Works great on older hardware too, id almost say better as linux in general can have issues with driver availibility on newer hardware.