GATES AIR FULL DOCUMENTATION LOCATION

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

GATES AIR FULL DOCUMENTATION LOCATION

Post by RGORJANCE »

Been having senior moment flash backs after kcbooboo's post re the CD exciter documentation, or lack of it.

There is a location where you can find almost anything you are looking for. Here it is.........

ftp://ftp.gatesair.com

Work your way thru the site and you will find a whole lot of stuff going back into the 80's and up to current stuff, including schematics. Sort of hidden is a section on FM exciters.

Sorry it took so long for me to dig this up, but as I said earlier.....senior moments (lasting days) :lol:

Fossil

PID_Stop

Re: GATES AIR FULL DOCUMENTATION LOCATION

Post by PID_Stop »

Users are going to need a username and password. How do they get one?

Jeff

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE »

"Users are going to need a username and password. How do they get one?"

I didn't need one to get to that site, I just entered the ftp thingy in the window and it pops up.

UNLESS....I got some stuff buried in the address that don't show up. After all, I am not the sharpest when it comes to computer stuff. Give it a try and if you can't access it, let me know and I'll dig into it.

Fossil

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

RGORJANCE wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:55 am
UNLESS....I got some stuff buried in the address that don't show up. After all, I am not the sharpest when it comes to computer stuff. Give it a try and if you can't access it, let me know and I'll dig into it.
No joy... maybe your browser has your username and password cached.

Don't sweat it -- I'm not hurting for documentation right at the moment.

Jeff

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE »

I think you got it figured out. Didn't dawn on me that was a possibility.

Then, if you have an account, you might be able to get to that site. I will check with a backup laptop I have that isn't known to their site to see what happens.

Thanks,

Fossil

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

I get the login dialog. I think that I have an ftp acct but it hasn't been used in years.

I recall that at some time in the far distant past, you had to fill out the acct request and it was approved by a real human being the next business day. Which doesn't help at 11pm on a Friday night but is probably better than just throwing out acct credentials automatically.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo »

Thanks. I tried using my standard GatesAir login credentials; can't get through.

Bob M.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

kcbooboo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:09 am
Thanks. I tried using my standard GatesAir login credentials; can't get through.

Bob M.
Same here. Website login doesn't work for FTP. Neither does the one I used to use on the old FTP site. So I guess we'll all need Fossil to download everything. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

grich

Post by grich »

Walter gave me the login credentials a few years ago. I don't know if they were intended for wide distribution. PM me and I'll pass it along.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE »

"So I guess we'll all need Fossil to download everything."

If I downloaded all that stuff, I'd be old and gray!!!................WAIT-------I Already am old and gray!

Never mind.

Fossil

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo »

I sent a request to GatesAir inquiring about the FTP portal. If that gets me nowhere, I'll contact grich for the back door entry method.

They used to have all this good stuff "in the good old days" when it was still Harris and there were people working there who knew how to spell AM.

Bob M.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo »

Well, it was a hard battle ma, but I won.

After several runarounds and screen shots, they discovered some information was missing from their web pages (specifically the Digit-CD schematics) and gave me the appropriate FTP URL to access the information I was looking for. They want people to log in to the gatesair.com web site (which I did), then select "Radio", then drill down until I find what I'm looking for. I had tried searching for "digit-cd" but there was only one item with that in the title and that's all it showed me. I was apparently supposed to know what particular service bulletin I needed by its title. The listing of items just has somewhat generic titles like "Service Bulletin FM-510-JSS" and I'm supposed to know that means it's for the Digit, or Digit-CD, or SuperMax, or lots of other exciters. That's great if a technician tells me to "get FM-510-JSS" but not when I'm trying to find stuff myself. The FTP interface is MUCH easier to navigate and gets me directly to all the information they have available for any particular product. Who would want anything else. I don't know why they don't put the URL on their web site somewhere and save people all the aggravation of using their difficult web-based documentation support system.

Bob M.