Sony BVH-2000PS. Missing TBC Card

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
mondeo93

Sony BVH-2000PS. Missing TBC Card

Post by mondeo93 »

Hi

I have a Sony BVH 2000PS 1 "C Format. Vol. 2 model
It lacks the 4 TBC cards (BKH 2015) So the colors flicker.
Are there anyone who knows where I can get the 4 cards?
Can the cards also be used for the PAL system?
There are also TBC cards called BKH 2100. What is the difference between BKH 2100 and BKH 2015?

Thanks a lot for answers.

Bedst regards.
mondeo

PID_Stop

Re: Sony BVH-2000PS. Missing TBC Card

Post by PID_Stop »

Hi there!

The BKH-2015 / 2015A isn't a time base corrector, it's the time code reader/generator. It's an optional board, and has no impact on video quality beyond inserting VITC during recording, and producing a monitor output with the time display burned into the picture.

The BKH-2100 is the early version four-card time base corrector set; it was replaced by the BKH-2150. Both sets are very difficult to find nowadays; in any case, I have never encountered them in a PAL version, even in the machines I maintained at Kodak's facility.

Generally speaking, machines that are missing the internal cards were probably running with a BVT-2000 external time base corrector, which was available in PAL (it had twelve lines of buffer memory, compared to eight lines for NTSC).

BVH-2000 machines up to a certain serial number (I want to say 10001 to 23499) used the BKH-2100 TBC; newer machines with higher serial numbers took the BKH-2150. There are minor differences on the motherboard, as I recall. At any rate, they aren't interchangeable without some modification.

Jeff

mondeo93

Post by mondeo93 »

Thanks for reply.

Then I misunderstood BKH 2015b and 2015A.
But can not BKH 2100 and 2150 with all TV systems, or should I only have for PAL as we used here in Denmark?
I have access to all the technical information about BVH-2000 and can see that you can also get a single TBC card HT-2000 Heterodyne. If I found this, could it be used? Is the HT-2000 a firmly programmed card?

Best regards

mondeo93

Post by mondeo93 »

I have looked at the Service manuals and can see that 4 PAL card is called
BKH 2200. PAL/Secam
BKH 2300 .PAL /Secam
BKH 2350 and as you write it has something to do with series no

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

mondeo93 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 am
...You can also get a single TBC card HT-2000 Heterodyne. If I found this, could it be used? Is the HT-2000 a firmly programmed card?
I have never seen an HT-2000 heterodyne card, even at the Sony training school, and doubt that very many were ever made. For one thing, it isn't very useful: it isn't a time base corrector, just a stabilizer for color so that it becomes good enough for a monitor to display. It doesn't remove larger time base errors or allow the VTR to be synchronous with other sources, so it isn't terribly useful in a broadcast or production setting.

Jeff

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

mondeo93 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:41 am
BKH 2200. PAL/Secam
BKH 2300 .PAL /Secam
BKH 2350 and as you write it has something to do with series no
You're probably correct. The only PAL equipment I have maintained was at Kodak's production facility in Rochester NY, and it was old enough to have used outboard BVT-2000 time base correctors. As you can imagine, nearly all of Sony's literature in the United States focused on NTSC versions. :D

Jeff

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

How long have you had the machine? Have the colors always flickered since you got it? It could simply be that it needs alignment. That is not a procedure that I would recommend for the inexperienced or those without proper instrumentation and tools. More than 20 years ago I was CE of a TV station with a lot of Sony decks, and frankly I don't miss the amount of time that I spent on them in the shop.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:12 am
Have the colors always flickered since you got it? It could simply be that it needs alignment. That is not a procedure that I would recommend for the inexperienced or those without proper instrumentation and tools.
Hi Dale,

Without either the heterodyne card or a time base corrector, the color will flicker even with good alignment. Having said that, you're absolutely right: you need to have a good digital meter, four-trace scope, alignment tape, extender board, and the special weights and jigs (all of which I still have) to reliably get the machine in spec. What's more, some of the alignment procedures in the manual contain errors or grossly misleading instructions. The big notebook we got during the training class, with our own notes added in colored pencil, is full of corrected procedures and real-world illustrations showing how waveforms really look. Chuck Hintz was an amazing instructor, and gave us a lot of insight into the design philosophy behind the machines.

I used to think the Ampex Intersync steps to disaster was a finicky procedure until I started doing BVH servo and DT alignments!

Jeff

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

PID_Stop wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 am
Having said that, you're absolutely right: you need to have a good digital meter, four-trace scope, alignment tape, extender board, and the special weights and jigs ...
I had forgotten how much it took - I have been out of TV engineering for nearly twenty years. I decided that I preferred radio engineering.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 pm
I had forgotten how much it took - I have been out of TV engineering for nearly twenty years. I decided that I preferred radio engineering.
I started out doing radio remotes (spelling bees, football games, church services) with my Dad about when I was in middle school, and did freelance repair of news film equipment through high school... we're talking 50+ years ago, though I'm not convinced that I'm actually that old. Started as a master control operator here 38 years ago. I enjoy what I do, but (here comes the "old fart" line) broadcasting was a lot more fun before computers screwed it all up. Nothing compares with the rush of getting through late afternoon programming, the local news, and local access with the ACR down and running every break from 2" reels, films, or slides and carts -- on a switcher that doesn't have integrated machine control or audio-follow video. No wonder the vending machine kept running out of Mountain Dew.

:lol:

Jeff

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

Sounds like you needed a vending machine full of Caf-Pow.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:13 am
Sounds like you needed a vending machine full of Caf-Pow.
Funny -- we used to have a master control operator who reminded me greatly of Abby. Really sweet, and really good at the job.

Back in those days, we were in the basement of a shopping mall... it was a dangerously short walk to coffee shops, pizza, Baskin Robbins, Orange Julius, Fanny Farmer, and any number of other sources of edible excess. On the other hand, there was a Radio Shack right down the hall, which came in handy occasionally when equipment crapped out.

Jeff