Any love for Thor encoders?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
rspeiser

Any love for Thor encoders?

Post by rspeiser »

We have two Tandberg 5710s that we would like to replace and are looking at the Thor h-4hd-ems (4 encoders with HD-SDI inputs for 1 RU). Price looks good, warranty up to 5 years, they claim to have equipped many TV stations mostly in US & Mexico. We are located in France, they are in California, but they have a UK distributor.

Anyone with experience with these willing to give some feedback?

Thanks.
(first post btw)

PID_Stop

Re: Any love for Thor encoders?

Post by PID_Stop »

Welcome to the forum!

My impression was that Thor is mainly found in CATV and MATV environments -- I have never seen it in a television station (but things do change). I suppose it greatly depends on what you want to do: if you're in France, you probably don't care much about ATSC encoding. :lol:

Jeff

rspeiser

Post by rspeiser »

Thanks for the welcome!

Nope, no ATSC here. This is DVB-T land as far as terrestrial digital goes.

...but this is for a Sat channel broadcasting into North Africa. We send our MPEG2 stream (SD only at this point) to the teleport over UDP and they do everything else.

So just looking for a reliable, economical lower bitrate (1.5-2.0Mbps) SD/HD MPEG2/H264 SDI encoder with IP (SPTS + MPTS) output. Having four separate encoders in one box means we could do SD+HD x two channels at some point in the future.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

Look into the Adtech stuff. We used one at my old station for our subchannel, and surprisngly, for a low cost encoder, it worked very nicely.
Was quite reliable and did everything we asked it to do without much hassle.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer/Tower Photographer
Boston area.
https://www.necrat.us, https://www.scan-ne.net/

"If you don’t think you’re good, nobody else will" - Tom Laun (RIP)."